Draft EWP

General Discussion for SMART Scholarship Recipients

Draft EWP

Post by Guest »

Does anyone know how specific we must be in the draft EWP? My university has a sequence mapped out that includes all the core courses, but allows the student to choose free/liberal electives. I really have no idea what electives I might want to take over the next few years or what will even be available at that point. I can however put down all the main courses I will be taking. Do you think it would be a bad idea if I put something like "4 Credit Free Elective" on the EWP, or should I try and find out and list a class I might be interested in and possibly change it later on? Thanks.

Re: Draft EWP

Post by Guest »

Remember you can always make alterations later on. The EWPs are a "plan" to let them see you are on a specific track it's not a contract.

RUchemE

Post by RUchemE »

i just put stuff like "technical elective" or "general elective" or "humanities elective"

Post by Guest »

Anyone know if we need to fill out another EWP for the start of the next semester even though we just filled out the Draft EWP?

Post by Guest »

I'd have to find it again, but I believe it said the next one is due in November (so yes to your question).

Post by Guest »

if its due in november though, wouldn't that be for the following semester already - like spring 2011? do you remember where it said that? i guess ill send them an email asking...

The SMART Program Office

Post by The SMART Program Office »

The purpose of the EWP’s is to provide the SMART Program with the following;

1) An indication that you have taken initiative in identifying a concrete path to graduation. Since SMART is paying for your degree through graduation, we want to insure you have a solid plan that gets you from where you are today to that end (and will get the government the product it’s paying for).

2) Written confirmation that you are planning to pursue the degree for which funding was offered.

3) Confirmation that you understand your plan should not include going to school during the summer months since that is when Participants complete their internships.

EWP’s are required upon award and one time per year thereafter unless you are having academic problems, in which case, you may be required to provide additional updates. Your initial EWP’s will be reviewed with you during orientation this summer.
Please keep in mind that it is our job to protect the public’s investment in your education. Thus it is to your advantage to be as specific as possible about the classes you plan to take as things can get messy if you don’t provide us with adequate information to assess your plan and your progress.

If you have further questions about the EWP, please send them to smart@nps.edu Please put the following in the subject line: EWP Question from new Participant