Any experience working for the Army Corps of Engineers?

General Discussion for SMART Scholarship Recipients

Any experience working for the Army Corps of Engineers?

Post by guest »

Does anyone have any experience working for the Army Corps of Engineers? Specifically the Alaska district, if possible?

Re: Any experience working for the Army Corps of Engineers?

Post by Guest »

I work for the Corps. It's great! You can live just about anywhere and do most anything in the Corps. 35000+ strong with district, division, and field offices all over the place. Environmental? Yep! Electrical? Yep! Geology? Yep! Structural? Yep! Biology? Yep! and on and on... You can even end up at a research lab in the ERDC doing who knows what!

Essayons!

CorpsisCool

Post by CorpsisCool »

I'm a SMART scholar working for the Corps. Its awesome doing real-world work. I just started flying drones as part of my job!

Post by guest »

That sounds great! Would you mind saying which SF you are a Smart Scholar at?

Just a Guest

Post by Just a Guest »

guest wrote:Does anyone have any experience working for the Army Corps of Engineers? Specifically the Alaska district, if possible?
I have experience with the Corps, but not Alaska. If your coming out of school with a degree in engineering, than working with the Corps is really a slam dunk. If nothing else, it will give you a worthwhile engineering firm experience. If you're graduating with a degree other than engineering, you might want to investigate what you'll be specifically doing. I don't have any direct experience with the Alaska District, but I've met a couple people who worked there, and it sounded like they mostly worked on a navigation projections. Do some research, they should have internet pages that talk about specific projects, if you're curious.

Just a Guest

Post by Just a Guest »

Just a Guest wrote: a navigation projections
*navigation projects

Post by Guest »

Just a Guest wrote:
guest wrote:Does anyone have any experience working for the Army Corps of Engineers? Specifically the Alaska district, if possible?
I have experience with the Corps, but not Alaska. If your coming out of school with a degree in engineering, than working with the Corps is really a slam dunk. If nothing else, it will give you a worthwhile engineering firm experience. If you're graduating with a degree other than engineering, you might want to investigate what you'll be specifically doing. I don't have any direct experience with the Alaska District, but I've met a couple people who worked there, and it sounded like they mostly worked on a navigation projections. Do some research, they should have internet pages that talk about specific projects, if you're curious.
Our most recent SES USACE Chief of Operations spent a lot of time at the Alaska district prior to becoming the Chief of Ops...I think anyway.

Post by Guest »

guest wrote:That sounds great! Would you mind saying which SF you are a Smart Scholar at?
ERDC, good place to work, terrible place to live...but, you get used to it and they pay very well.