Getting government rate discount at hotel?

General Discussion for SMART Scholarship Recipients

Getting government rate discount at hotel?

Post by Guest »

I'm wondering if anybody has had success in getting a government rate discount at a hotel? I am traveling for a conference soon and that discount would really help me out. If you did have success, were you asked to show any identification and what did you bring? Also any general advice about the process would be helpful.

Thanks!

Re: Getting government rate discount at hotel?

Post by Guest »

they'll usually ask to see your government credential (CAC)

Post by Guest »

Just remember it is a crime to copy a CAC. They can ask to see it, but not take a picture/scan.

http://www.army.mil/article/28452/photo ... deral-law/

Post by Guest »

Phase II here, TDY all the time. I have never been asked to see my CAC. It's up to the hotel. I have read about a Residence Inn up north (maybe St. Paul) that requires you to show active travel orders. But, other than that, no one usually asks anything. If the government rate is cheaper (it's often not) than what you could get otherwise, then use it as long as the hotel doesn't specifically say you have to be on active travel orders.

I've also never been asked for my AAA card.

Post by Guest »

Sorry, you also asked about process. I use the hotel websites directly (not expedia or travelocity) and choose the government rate option when booking. That's it.

Post by Guest »

I actually managed to get the government rate discount at a hotel when I was driving down to my internship. I just brought a copy of my internship travel request and asked if that was valid, and it was accepted both on the way down and on the way back up.