Good SFs

General Discussion for SMART Scholarship Recipients

Good SFs

Post by Guest »

Hi, so I just received my notification that I made it through the first overall review and have been pushed to the next process of review. I've been reading this forum for about 2 hours trying to just get better insight into this whole situation. Obviously I have not received any actual offers yet but all the negative feed back has me worried. I'd really just like to know where people have had good experiences. That is what SFs have lead to a positive experience.

I'm currently a junior studying for a BS in aero engineering so If I accept the scholarship I would start an intenship after my senior year. I also plan on studying for a masters in the field.

So if anyone has had a good experience with a SF let me know. Thanks

Guest3889

Re: Good SFs

Post by Guest3889 »

I'm a PhD student with The Defense Forensic Science Center (DFSC) and I think they are great. They have been so supportive and tried working with me to make it the best experience. If I ever have a problem, I usually just email my main mentor and they are on top of it. They have also offered professional advice with resumes and presentations. I would give this SF 5 stars. However, this would be a facility that is better suited for scientists in Chemistry, Biochemistry, and Forensic Science (or similar) fields. This probably wouldn't apply to you then, but I at least wanted you to know that good ones do exist.

PowerGirl

Post by PowerGirl »

Reiterating above, they do exist. Army Power Division here, Im a PhD student and my internships have been wonderful. I can't wait to start working there.

Post by Guest »

Beyond the three SFs you chose in the original application, you will not have any influence over the process. (Unless two SF start fighting over you). So you would be better to wait and see if an SF picks you, then ask us.

Post by Guest »

I highly recommend not going to Robins AFB if you want to do research or serious engineering. They don't take many PhD's though.

Post by Guest »

AFRL Sensors is an excellent SF. Cutting edge and challenging research and a myriad of professionals in the building.

PowerGirl

Post by PowerGirl »

One of the "Guest"s has the best advice, really you don't get much control, some one is going to select you. Chances of one of ours being the one that gives you a call is pretty slim.

Once you are offered an award, you will get the chance to call your SF, but also post back on here to see if anyone can speak from experience with that SF. I had only posted so you know there are great opportunities out there, so don't just turn the scholarship down right away should you be selected. But you are correct that you need to make the decision that is best for you. For me, this scholarship was the best decision.