Anyone else not get paid?

General Discussion for SMART Scholarship Recipients

Re: Anyone else not get paid?

Post by Guest »

Whoever gets paid, post it so the rest of us know.

Guestagain

Post by Guestagain »

FYI that second paragraph means they read this forum.

Fitzsimmons

Post by Fitzsimmons »

Guest wrote:Dear SMART Participants,

Thank you to those who contacted the SMART Program Office through the official email address to raise concern about the January stipend payment. January stipend payments will be issued through a different capacity this month. Payments will be processed via wire transfers. All payments will be posted today. You may see an additional $15 with this deposit which is intended to cover any wire transfer fees that may be incurred.

As referenced in the SMART Participant Handbook, page twelve, section 8.2. a titled Stipends. Recruitment SSPP Stipend Timing and Distribution are based on the availability of funds, recruitment SSPP stipend payments are paid directly to the SSPP by ASEE. Recruitment SSPPs generally receive stipend payments on the third Friday of each month, beginning in August of the first award year, provided all award funding prerequisites have been met.

The SMART Program is dedicated to providing accurate information through official channels. Questions regarding SMART policies or procedures, contact the program at SMART@nps.edu and/or your cohort administrator.
Yes. They're definitely reading this forum (or they did, before they left for the long weekend). The second paragraph also indicates that you did the right thing by going to them, instead of discussing it with your peers, which can lead to thoughtcrime.

You know what the statement above says? SMART did nothing wrong. This is business as usual.

If this is all part of the SPO's plan, then why are these scholars only hearing about this today? The day they are supposed to be receiving their stipend. Seems like a little advance notice would have been nice.

I'll tell you why -- someone made a mistake.

As far as the handbook excerpt (page 12, sec. 8.2), particularly the "based on the availability of funds" part, mine doesn't say anything like that. The SPO just changed the handbook when they realized that their incompetence was going to lead to a couple of late payments every year. And the handbook doesn't say anything about wiring money to scholars like a shady eBay scammer.

This should go without saying, but I'll say it anyway. The SMART program owes these scholars an apology, which was overtly missing from the "it's not our fault" email. The inability to admit when you make a mistake is a well-known indication of a severe character flaw, and it's rampant in the government. Get over yourself, man up, and tell these people that you messed up and you're sorry.

larry

Post by larry »

Fitzsimmons wrote:
Guest wrote:Dear SMART Participants,

Thank you to those who contacted the SMART Program Office through the official email address to raise concern about the January stipend payment. January stipend payments will be issued through a different capacity this month. Payments will be processed via wire transfers. All payments will be posted today. You may see an additional $15 with this deposit which is intended to cover any wire transfer fees that may be incurred.

As referenced in the SMART Participant Handbook, page twelve, section 8.2. a titled Stipends. Recruitment SSPP Stipend Timing and Distribution are based on the availability of funds, recruitment SSPP stipend payments are paid directly to the SSPP by ASEE. Recruitment SSPPs generally receive stipend payments on the third Friday of each month, beginning in August of the first award year, provided all award funding prerequisites have been met.

The SMART Program is dedicated to providing accurate information through official channels. Questions regarding SMART policies or procedures, contact the program at SMART@nps.edu and/or your cohort administrator.
Yes. They're definitely reading this forum (or they did, before they left for the long weekend). The second paragraph also indicates that you did the right thing by going to them, instead of discussing it with your peers, which can lead to thoughtcrime.

You know what the statement above says? SMART did nothing wrong. This is business as usual.

If this is all part of the SPO's plan, then why are these scholars only hearing about this today? The day they are supposed to be receiving their stipend. Seems like a little advance notice would have been nice.

I'll tell you why -- someone made a mistake.

As far as the handbook excerpt (page 12, sec. 8.2), particularly the "based on the availability of funds" part, mine doesn't say anything like that. The SPO just changed the handbook when they realized that their incompetence was going to lead to a couple of late payments every year. And the handbook doesn't say anything about wiring money to scholars like a shady eBay scammer.

This should go without saying, but I'll say it anyway. The SMART program owes these scholars an apology, which was overtly missing from the "it's not our fault" email. The inability to admit when you make a mistake is a well-known indication of a severe character flaw, and it's rampant in the government. Get over yourself, man up, and tell these people that you messed up and you're sorry.

What the SMART email tells me is that the process broke down between the ASEE (contractor)'s bank and the student bank accounts. The government doesn't do wire transfers...

This is the process to get you paid: ASEE bills DFAS, DFAS checks with DOD to see if bill is valid, DFAS pays bill (to ASEE), ASEE pops a direct deposit request to their bank, which sends money to your bank. To do that transaction during a business day (and not take over the weekend to make it happen) someone decided to use a wire transfer in an attempt to get you paid after a bank screwed up. Much appreciated, and def. out of the box thinking.

Fitzsimmons

Post by Fitzsimmons »

I'm sorry - which bank is that? Is that the same bank that caused all of the other delays over the past few years?

It's funny. I've been receiving direct-deposit paychecks for 18 years. The bank never failed. Not once, until I started working with the government.

But yeah, thanks to SMART's quick thinking and clever maneuvering, these scholars have yet to receive their stipend. Yay SMART.

Fitzsimmons

Post by Fitzsimmons »

Larry, I like you. I hope you know that. But your last post is a perfect example of how great government employees are at polishing a turd.

guest22

Post by guest22 »

I have gotten paid in the past hour. everyone should check.

Post by guest »

Not me. Even if they do make it tonight, I won't be impressed. Least professional organization I've ever worked with.

Larry

Post by Larry »

Fitzsimmons wrote:Larry, I like you. I hope you know that. But your last post is a perfect example of how great government employees are at polishing a turd.
I'm very sorry that you are as bitter and angry as you are. I recognize that your frustration is not without reason, but it is blinding you to when someone is trying to help.

I was trying to explain (as I was heading out the door at the office) how the SMART stipend flows from the government through ASEE to the student. While we have had problems with DFAS not wanting to allow payment in advance of billing, the SMART folks have worked with DFAS to reduce that problem (this was what caused the most recent delay as the ASEE Grant ended and a contract was put into place). SMART doesn't control the finances of the government, and the FAR and DFAR control much about how, when, and where money goes.

The government doesn't pay the student, the student is paid by ASEE. This arrangement was put into place a decade ago when it was easier to move money by grant. SMART doesn't control ASEE, they have a contract via WHS to ASEE. I can assure you SMART didn't perform a government wire transfer, that must have been done by ASEE's bank and I'm frankly curious how they pulled it off. I was expecting you'd get paid on Tuesday, given the glitch.

SMART doesn't own "a bank", but of course you knew that, you were just venting your frustration. I don't take offense, but it does seem like you need a hug. Here's one -> HUG! <-!

I hope all get paid, and I hope all have a great weekend!
Larry

Fitzsimmons

Post by Fitzsimmons »

Larry,

I know SMART doesn't own a bank. To spell it out for you, I was saying that "the bank" is the SMART program's scapegoat. Clearly, no bank has anything to do with the delay.

I'm not waiting on payment. I'm in phase 2. I want to see these phase 1 scholars paid, and I seem to be the only one taking this seriously.

I'm not bitter or angry, but I will say it's a sore subject with me because I've been through the same thing.

Thanks for the hug. I can see the previous post about the SMART program's professionalism was on point.

Larry

Post by Larry »

Fitzsimmons wrote:Larry,

I know SMART doesn't own a bank. To spell it out for you, I was saying that "the bank" is the SMART program's scapegoat. Clearly, no bank has anything to do with the delay.

I'm not waiting on payment. I'm in phase 2. I want to see these phase 1 scholars paid, and I seem to be the only one taking this seriously.

I'm not bitter or angry, but I will say it's a sore subject with me because I've been through the same thing.

Thanks for the hug. I can see the previous post about the SMART program's professionalism was on point.
I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on what caused the error. Given that the SMART Program Office never talks to the bank (ASEE does), but the bank had funds it could wire out, I tend to believe my version. But my version doesn't allow me to be angry at the SPO, and yours does. To each his own.

Cheers,
Larry

Fitzsimmons

Post by Fitzsimmons »

OH! I'm sorry. I didn't realize that SMART is unaffiliated with ASEE. Clearly that absolves SMART of any negative consequences that these scholars might experience due to the late stipend payment.

It's really weird that the website is smart.asee.org. But clearly SMART and ASEE have nothing to do with each other.

Salut!

Larry

Post by Larry »

Fitzsimmons wrote:OH! I'm sorry. I didn't realize that SMART is unaffiliated with ASEE. Clearly that absolves SMART of any negative consequences that these scholars might experience due to the late stipend payment.

It's really weird that the website is smart.asee.org. But clearly SMART and ASEE have nothing to do with each other.

Salut!

Obviously SMART is affiliated with ASEE... I was reading the prior posts as a slam on the government SMART Program Office (and their contractors at NCI) since that's where most of the prior vitriol seems to be pointed. Near as I can tell ASEE is responsible for a) hosting a website, b) collecting applications and paying students. My comments were about the SPO, which doesn't handle the money.

My last comment on this subject. I also feel bad that my unprofessionalism could reflect poorly on the SMART Program, which doesn't work for me, and which I am sure would rather not have me trying to help the students on this board. I will restrain myself in the future which I'm sure will make all involved happier.

Cheers,
Larry

Post by Guest »

Well I appreciate both Fitzimmons and Larry being on this forum. I will try to reach out to both of you when I am in Phase II.

But for now, has anyone else been paid? I count 1 so far???

Fitzsimmons

Post by Fitzsimmons »

Larry,

I will admit, this conversation has rattled me. These students are doing everything they can to remain in phase 1 and keep their academics in good standing. When they're done, they will go to work for an SF that will pay them a fraction of what they could make elsewhere. It's not a joke.

The very least that the SPO could do is make sure they receive their stipend payments on time.

Also, I realize this thread has been somewhat overthrown and I'm sorry for that.

Slainte.

Post by Guest »

Still nothing.

Post by Guest »

I got paid last night

Post by Guest »

Nothing here yet. Do you think it will be Tuesday now?

Fitzsimmons

Post by Fitzsimmons »

Seems unlikely that it would go in on MLK day but you never know. I guess some people have already received theirs so I would think that the latest would be Tuesday. Good luck!

guestagain

Post by guestagain »

Still nothing here too.

Post by Guest »

Nothing in my account yet. Maybe the bank has to be open to accept the wire transfer? Were those who got paid on Friday on the west coast?

guestagain

Post by guestagain »

My bank is open by now but no sign yet. I think I'm gonna have to borrow from my spouse today. Dangit Christmas. I've usually taken these pretty good in the past (and they've been longer) but this is just the worst timing.

Post by Guest »

Well what happened to the "payments will be posted today" part of that email that came out on Friday?

Post by Guest »

I didn't get paid today. Did anyone else get paid?

Post by Guest »

It's really horrible that they can't give us an update. The last thing they said on Friday was that things were pretty much all good. Now it's Tuesday.

It's annoying that the people we can talk to are in CA while the people who deal with our stipends are in DC ... so there's very little time for the two to communicate to each other.