Drowning in forms

General Discussion for SMART Scholarship Recipients

Drowning in forms

Post by guest »

I hope I am not the only one that might need help on all these forms.

I'll start with an easy one, on the EWP I have to confirm that I am NOT getting a technology degree, I was wondering waht that meant because BA and MA are a separate column and this is obviously for tech majors

rmw228

Re: Drowning in forms

Post by rmw228 »

A technology degree, like engineering technology, aerospace technology, etc. are degrees that are more centered around engineering or aerospace vocations. For instance, someone getting a degree in aerospace technology may end up in a job as an aircraft mechanic. Someone getting a degree in aerospace engineering may end up in a job designing the aircraft.

Post by guest »

EWP: Does anyone know what we should answer for "Did you contact your SF to find a Project Aligned with Your Sponsoring Facility?" and "Is your graduation project aligned with your sponsoring facility?"

I am completing my PhD, and I will need to complete a dissertation. Does it matter if I am "aligned" or not? I cannot find any guidelines for this in the handbook.

The SMART Program Office

Post by The SMART Program Office »

Regarding technology degrees; in the last 5 years, many schools have stood-up various types of engnieering technology degree programs. Schools, of course, heavily promote the value of these programs and the SMART Program does not refute such. However, engineering technology degrees are not the same as engineering degrees and people with technology degrees cannot be hired into DoD positions requiring an engineering degree. There is a specific OPM salary schedule (pay range) for engineers. People with technology degrees do not qualify for hiring under this schedule which pays more than the base GS pay schedule.

Awardee

Post by Awardee »

I believe that works better for a final project/master's thesis. Since PhD theses are very extensive, but if you are in the beginning of your process it means you can coordinate the thesis with both an effort at your facility via your POC there and your academic advisor. Get involved in on-going DoD research and have it be the foundation of your dissertation, too.