Phase 2 - Smart Workers, Pay raises GS-9 to GS-11?

General Discussion for SMART Scholarship Recipients
superskbman

Phase 2 - Smart Workers, Pay raises GS-9 to GS-11?

Post by superskbman »

Good morning, I am currently in phase 2 working for my Sponsoring Facility. I started last year at a GS-9 since I had my masters, its been 1 year and I figured I was supposed to automatically move to a GS-11, but according to my SF-50 that I just saw I am just being increased a step, GS-9 Step2. Is that right? Has this happened to anyone else?
Read my Blog at www.FamVestor.com

Learn about creating Passive Income, Being Frugal, Living Optimalisticaly, and designing a wholesome lifestyle all for the purpose of Investing in your Family.

larry

Re: Phase 2 - Smart Workers, Pay raises GS-9 to GS-11?

Post by larry »

A GS-9 with one year experience "Can" be promoted to GS-11. Doesn't mean you have to be. I do note that it is common.

This isn't really a SMART Program question, but a personnel question. And it's a good question.

I would have a discussion with your supervisor and ask her/him. Start the discussion by saying you had assumed that a promotion to GS-11 was automatic, but that you realize (since you got a Step increase) that it wasn't.

Ask what you needed to do to impress him/her, and what you'll need to do next year.

Note that promotions at these levels can occur at any point in the year...

Also, look at your SF-50. Is your billet a GS-9/11/12, or just a GS-9? If you have to, ask your HRO folks. Be polite.

Also, google is your friend here.

Larry

superskbman

Post by superskbman »

I just spoke with my supervisor and co-worker, apparently the pay period before a Grade increase - they give you a step increase? Anyway I guess I will find out if this is true next pay period.

Learn about creating Passive Income, Being Frugal, Living Optimalisticaly, and designing a wholesome lifestyle all for the purpose of Investing in your Family.

larry

Post by larry »

That boss gets a Xmas card. A step increase is 3%. A Grade is 6%. They just gave you a 9% raise (if it all works like it should...).

superskbman

Post by superskbman »

Just got a new SF-50 this morning saying I would be promoted to the GS-11 :D

user1

Post by user1 »

Great to hear. Did you get another 6%?

superskbman

Post by superskbman »

6%? I just went from a GS-9 Step1 to a GS 11 Step1