Anyone else not get paid yet?

guest1

Re: September Deposit

Post by guest1 »

I also have not been paid today.

Curious

Post by Curious »

Does anyone know why we didn't get paid? Last time they sent out a notification stating that it would be late...I wonder what the reason is this time.

Frenchy

Post by Frenchy »

I have not been paid yet either. No idea why, I thought everything was all figured out now.

Post by Guest »

I havent been paid either. I came here to see if I was the only one.

Post by Guest »

I've called the CA several times (even though it's for a different reason). Of course, no answer. I wonder what's going on....

Post by Guest »

I have also not been paid. Calling my CA gets an answering machine...

Post by Guest »

My opinion on the matter is as follows.

I always check the ASEE site to see if I got paid. (I understand that this isn't necessarily correlated to what is actually happening). Last time, the ASEE site didn't update until Friday ~5 EST. At about ~7 EST I could see the pending transaction in my account, but didn't actually get paid until the following Tuesday because my bank was closed Saturday and Monday. Now, I can see the pay for today on the ASEE site. This makes me feel like the money is in the loop and we will be paid tonight or tomorrow.

Stewie772

Post by Stewie772 »

Just got this:

"Dear SMART Participant,

This email is to notify you that the SMART September stipends are delayed due to an administrative matter. We anticipate that these payments will be made by Friday, 26 September 2014.

We apologize for the inconvenience and we thank you for your patience.

Sincerely,

The SMART Scholarship for Service Program
400 Camino Aguajito, First Floor | Monterey, CA 93940"

Looks like they are still struggling to get their new pay system squared away. At least this time it's only delayed a week and not longer like last month. Still, this is frustrating.

Post by Guest »

At least they are getting it to us before the end of the month. That time when all my bills are due and I need the money they contractually agreed to provide in a timely manner.

Post by Guest »

I will always remember what it's like to be in this situation and never treat people whose livelihoods I'm responsible for in such a manner.

guestagain

Post by guestagain »

I got paid! Not sure if it happened yesterday or today because I hadn't checked since Monday.

guest22

Post by guest22 »

I also got paid late last night.

larry

Post by larry »

Until recently there was a grant at ASEE that allowed the government to provide funds in advance of a bill so that students could be paid on time (in theory).

Because of the POTUS driven requirement for 100% auditability the use of grants in this fashion is being phased out.

For SMART this means that funds are now provided to ASEE for disbursment as part of a contract (vice grant). That means that ASEE has to submit a bill to cover the costs, the government can then pay the bill. Thus there will be a delay. Fortunately, we are waiving the quick payment laws which require government to pay in 30 days. Yes, quick payment is 30 days. I'm impressed you got them in the 8-10 days as that requires ASEE and DFAS to be hustling.

RF_EE

Post by RF_EE »

larry wrote:Until recently there was a grant at ASEE that allowed the government to provide funds in advance of a bill so that students could be paid on time (in theory).

Because of the POTUS driven requirement for 100% auditability the use of grants in this fashion is being phased out.

For SMART this means that funds are now provided to ASEE for disbursment as part of a contract (vice grant). That means that ASEE has to submit a bill to cover the costs, the government can then pay the bill. Thus there will be a delay. Fortunately, we are waiving the quick payment laws which require government to pay in 30 days. Yes, quick payment is 30 days. I'm impressed you got them in the 8-10 days as that requires ASEE and DFAS to be hustling.
Hey larry, I want to personally say thank you to you for the information you provide to this forum. It's things like this that shed a little light into the background of the issues that affect us, and show that it really isn't just SMART taking advantage of interns, but rather that they really are trying to get things fixed for us.

Larry

Post by Larry »

RF_EE wrote: Hey larry, I want to personally say thank you to you for the information you provide to this forum. It's things like this that shed a little light into the background of the issues that affect us, and show that it really isn't just SMART taking advantage of interns, but rather that they really are trying to get things fixed for us.
Thanks for the kind words.

We have been working to make the SMART program more transparent, and more importantly more effective for both the students and the sponsoring facilities. You'll begin to see those changes, but to praphase Clausewitz "in government everything is simple, but even simple things are difficult to accomplish"...