August deposit

General Discussion for SMART Scholarship Recipients
guest27

August deposit

Post by guest27 »

I received an email that our August deposit wasn't going to happen on August 15th. The email from ASEE also stated that they don't control payments any longer and we should talk to SPO. The last email that I received from SPO said that they would be unavailable until further notice. Does anyone know what is going on? Has anyone tried to contact SPO?

CMURobotics

Re: August deposit

Post by CMURobotics »

I got the same email about the delayed payment but, not one from the SPO saying they were unavailable. What was content and context of that email?

anon14Aug14

Post by anon14Aug14 »

This was the "out of communication" email:
Dear SMART Participant,

This email is to inform you that starting this Friday, August 1, 2014, the SMART Program staff, including the Cohort Administrators and Service Liaisons, will be unavailable for a brief period of time to address administrative requirements. We will send out a notification to let you know when we are available.

This does not pertain to the financial activities performed by ASEE. ASEE and the SMART website will continue normal operations during this period.

In the interim, please direct any non-financial emergency communications to the STEM Development Office: <osd.pentagon.ousd-atl.mbx.stem@mail.mil>. Please also copy the SMART inbox (smart@nps.edu) on any correspondence so that we may be aware of any communication when we are available.

Sincerely,

The SMART Scholarship for Service Program
400 Camino Aguajito, First Floor | Monterey, CA 93940
Which now is being directly contradicted by the ASEE email where they say they will only handle 1099 and direct deposit, and all other financial questions should go to the SMART Program office. The SPO email appeared with no additional context.

anon3

Post by anon3 »

I got the same email :( Wondering if everyone in the program got it, or only a few of us...?

guest 123

Post by guest 123 »

I am assuming everyone received the email. I just hope that it is resolved quickly.

CMURobotics

Post by CMURobotics »

Our funding is delayed and the only people we can contact are unavailable, this seems a bit sketch to me. I am going to try and call around tomorrow and get some answers, if I get any answers I will post them on here and I ask everyone reading this will do the same.

CMURobotics

Post by CMURobotics »

what was the date on that email? I didn't receive it

anon3

Post by anon3 »

The email was sent August 14th.

anon14Aug14

Post by anon14Aug14 »

The "out of contact" email was sent 31 July.

Post by Guest »

So should we send emails to that OSD address? The message from SPO seemed to indicate they would only be out for a few days.

Does anyone know where the money comes from and where it goes before getting to us? These delays typically have lasted 2 weeks or more, and in my experience with the government it seems that a well placed call would really expedite things.

Larry

Post by Larry »

Would you please post a copy of the ASEE email that you received?

Thanks,
Larry

Post by Guest »

Larry wrote:Would you please post a copy of the ASEE email that you received?

Thanks,
Larry
Dear SMART Scholar,

Please note that if you were expecting a payment on Friday, August 15 from the SMART Scholarship Program that payments will be not be issued as scheduled due to a delay in funding from the Department of Defense. At this time we do not know a scheduled pay date. Please direct any questions about this matter to the SMART Program Office. The Program regrets the delay.

Also, please note that ASEE will no longer be your point of contact for any program matters beyond direct deposit forms and 1099s. The SMART Program Office is your point of contact for all matters including all funding questions.

The ASEE SMART Scholarship Program Team

larry

Post by larry »

Thanks for posting the email.

I pulled some threads and I'll share what I learned.

ASEE is under a new contract with OSD. Student payments are now run through that contract, and not a seperate grant (inside baseball stuff) as had been done previously. The net effect is that the billing cycle is longer. This is the first payment through the new system...

The delay should only be a few days. OSD is aware, WHS (who administers the contract) is aware, as is ASEE. All are working to get students paid.

I do recommend using the OSD email address to share your concerns.

Larry

PS: I have no capacity with the SMART program, but remember what it was like to be a student employee...

Post by Guest »

Thanks, Larry, for doing that.

Post by Guest »

Does anyone have any idea or speculation when we will be paid?

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:Does anyone have any idea or speculation when we will be paid?
I'm curious if the situation can even be resolved with SPO MIA?

Larry

Post by Larry »

Let me get an update from the SMART office in OSD. I'll try and post an update today.

The problem with the contract for the folks in the SPO is independent of problem ASEE is having paying stipends.

Larry

PS: Yes, you are right... It shouldn't be this hard.

Post by Guest »

If my stipend isn't deposited by COB today, I'm releasing the Monkeys!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfv6u4An8hU

Post by Guest »

Unless you have heard a definite answer on the date of deposit. You should just go ahead and release this monkeys!

Post by Guest »

Funds are coming next Friday.

"Hello ****,

The August stipend, book allowance, and health insurance delay is an administrative issue with distribution and it is anticipated that you will receive funding on the 29th of August.

v/r,
"

Post by Guest »

Hopefully they tell all of us that soon.

Post by Guest »

They will not, they told me because I inquired specifically.

Post by Guest »

I think we all received an email stating that we should get paid on Friday 29 August. If you get paid, please post here.

I wanted to also point out that the email from OSD last week failed to BCC all of our email addresses.

Brandi

Post by Brandi »

As of 6:05am no payment has been received by me.

Post by Guest »

No payment yet here. I'm going to give them a reasonable amount of time (12 PM) before I start hounding them with emails and phone calls.