SMART stipend in addition to university stipend?

General Discussion for SMART Scholarship Recipients
mmw77

SMART stipend in addition to university stipend?

Post by mmw77 »

For those of you already in the program--I was hoping you could clarify something for me. Is the stipend provided by SMART in addition to the one provided by your institution? That is what I was told by the SMART office, but when interviewing at a few schools recently, they did not think that was the case. Any insight would be helpful!

allknowning

Re: SMART stipend in addition to university stipend?

Post by allknowning »

I take it you mean for a university stipdent for a graduate level fellowship or something similar. Yes you can get both the SMART stipend and a university stipend. I currently draw two salaries

lizla

Post by lizla »

Do you mind saying what school you're at?

Post by Guest »

Where I am (whether SMART allows it or not) the advisors will stop paying your university stipend if you receive a fellowship such as SMART.

guest1

Post by guest1 »

Just posting a response, to give this a bump above the bots.

Post by Guest »

don't know about whether or not SMART allows you to take both, I believe they might...

My adviser, on the other hand, didn't feel too keen on paying my tuition and stipend to have me run away for a summer internship. It was a trade, of sorts. I kept researching with him, without pay, and he didn't complain too much about me leaving for 2.5 months every summer. When it came time to graduate, I had some leverage in dictating when I felt I had sufficient research for a dissertation.

If your adviser wants to pay you an RA, then you better be prepared to give him/her more say in your educational goals. That may mean delaying your graduation date and incurring the penalty of having time added to your phase 2 commitment.

Post by Guest »

Way to go on changing the question to fool the bots!

When I got the scholarship (2011 Cohort) it was explicitly told to us at the conference that we aren't allowed to get both a RA (or TA) and the fellowship. I know that in the contract the wording has changed a little since then. They released the floodgates on "other income" to make up for not paying the internship support payments a couple of years back. When they thankfully rescinded the changes on internship support payments, the "other income" part was left up in the air sort of.

I think that the wording on what your school calls RA or TA and where that money comes from (e.g. not double-dipping from the Government) will determine now whether a SMART Scholar can legally take a stipend in addition to the scholarship, but I think taking both is clearly against the intention of the Government.