Have you received your W-2 / 1099 yet?

General Discussion for SMART Scholarship Recipients
NewAE

Have you received your W-2 / 1099 yet?

Post by NewAE »

Has anyone received their W-2/1099 for 2013 yet?

Re: Have you received your W-2 / 1099 yet?

Post by Guest »

I have not, and my address has not changed since last year.

RF_EE

Post by RF_EE »

I have not.

NewAE

Post by NewAE »

Thanks for replying. I was concerned that I had received mine and misplaced it.

drodriguez

Post by drodriguez »

Mine just came in today.

superskbman

Post by superskbman »

I have not either.
Read my Blog at www.FamVestor.com

Learn about creating Passive Income, Being Frugal, Living Optimalisticaly, and designing a wholesome lifestyle all for the purpose of Investing in your Family.

Post by Guest »

Still don't have mine. Anyone else in the same boat?

Post by Guest »

got mine today

RF_EE

Post by RF_EE »

Mine came in the mail today.

Post by Guest »

Still don't have mine.

Post by Guest »

I got mine. Must have came in either today or yesterday

Guestagain

Post by Guestagain »

Awesome. They misprinted the 1099 and I've already completed my tax return. Just FYI in case you haven't gotten the email yet, don't use the ones you just received.

Post by Guest »

Yeah, I did mine already too. Ug now I have to pay to redo my taxes and then pay more taxes.

Post by Guest »

How do you know they misprinted the 1099? Do you think it could be a subset or is it all of them?

fingers-crossed2

Post by fingers-crossed2 »

My guess is that it was all of them, but maybe if you didn't get an email, yours wasn't affected by the mix up. The problem was they forgot to include the amount they paid for insurance. I don't see how this type of error could have been made to some and not others, but you can easily check it by calculating your stipend payments (also available online) and seeing if it totals the amount on your W-2 (not sure if book allowance is included or not, but this is easy enough to check since book allowance is $1000 and insurance is $1200).

Here is the email I received (yes after doing my taxes -grr)

Hello,

You should have recently received a 1099 from ASEE. Please note this 1099 erroneously excluded health insurance allowance payments. An updated 1099 is being produced that includes health insurance allowance payments and will be sent to you shortly. We regret this error and apologize for any inconvenience. If you did not receive a 1099 yet from ASEE please notify us as it likely means we do not have a correct address for you. Please let us know if you have any questions.

The ASEE SMART Scholarship Program Team
c/o American Society for Engineering Education
1818 N St. NW
Suite 600
Washington, DC 20036
Email: smart@asee.org

guest923485

Post by guest923485 »

Has anyone received a corrected 1099?

Smart Scholar

Post by Smart Scholar »

Not Yet... have been wondering if other's have (?)

math_PhD

Post by math_PhD »

Not yet, but I figure they left out the $1200 for health insurance, so we can just add that to the total amount. Otherwise the rest of the form is the same.

Post by Guest »

Yeah but they might decide that the insurance money isn't taxable or something like that, so I'd wait for the new 1099 before re-filing. (Or file the original before 4/15).

Fingers-Crossed

Post by Fingers-Crossed »

I did receive my corrected W-2 now. Time to file my amendment and pay back from my return :(

Post by Guest »

Shouldn't the "Corrected if checked" box be checked on these new 1099-MISC forms? It's my understanding we have to send them in with the 1040X ... is the IRS going to be all like "why isn't it checked"?

I guess we could just send both forms and annotate "before" and "after".

Post by Guest »

Did anyone have a specific contact for obtaining their 1099? I have not been receiving these in the mail and now there was a clerical issue with my 2012 tax return I have to fix. SMART is notoriously bad at returning emails and calls, so I'm looking for a specific contact.

Thanks

RF_EE

Post by RF_EE »

Guest wrote:SMART is notoriously bad at returning emails and calls, so I'm looking for a specific contact.
It's funny, the only communications issues I've ever had with SMART have been with the Security Manager. Apparently he's out of the office often, and terrible at responding to emails, but if you can catch him by phone by calling regularly, he's quick to get stuff done. As for the SPO, my CA has always been incredibly timely about responding to emails. That and I managed to save her phone number when she called one time, so I can always bug her directly....

On topic, maybe if you call ASEE's SMART line in DC you can get them to give you a direct line. Their number is 202-331-3544. Just be polite, and you should get the help you need.