Government shutdown

General Discussion for SMART Scholarship Recipients
antel

Government shutdown

Post by antel »

Is anyone else worried whether the shutdown will affect our stipends? Any ideas of how this might play out?

Guestagain

Re: Government shutdown

Post by Guestagain »

Yea I'm wondering too, I came here to see if anyone might have heard anything

smart_hopeful

Post by smart_hopeful »

I have no idea, but if nothing else at least stipends are supposed to go out closer to the end of the month and with some luck the shutdown won't last that long. Most prior shutdowns in the 20th century have lasted days as opposed to weeks. However, I'm not exactly thrilled about what this might do to the odds of being hired post-graduation.

Post by Guest »

Has anyone asked SPO about this?

Post by Guest »

My site contact point is currently Furloughed.

Guest3889

Post by Guest3889 »

I had the same question and asked my POC a couple of days ago when I went to go visit their lab. My lab is working on "IOU's" from the government and there is a 50/50 shot of students not being paid as well. The fellowship payment freeze depends on what funds are used. As of now, the facilities are not sure if it will or will not affect fellowship payments because they don't know what funds the DOD has set aside for us. What I do know is that tuition payments or anything like that will NOT be paid during the government shutdown. I have a feeling that the funds for payments to students are frozen if the employees at the facility are not getting paid.

notworried

Post by notworried »

If SMART works like most contracts the money is already given to ASEE and since they are the one who pay us I don't see why we wouldn't get paid on time.

Post by Guest »

notworried wrote:If SMART works like most contracts the money is already given to ASEE and since they are the one who pay us I don't see why we wouldn't get paid on time.
After many emails over funding issues this doesn't seem to be the case. It seems more like the money has been allocated to pay ASEE, but still has to be sent each month. The government likely wants to hold the lump sum in interest rather than let ASEE do so.

guest456

Post by guest456 »

I asked my CA about stipends via voicemail and I got this response in my email. Hope this is true! I guess we'll find out soon.

"Hi XXX,

I received your voice mail and I wanted to follow up with you regarding the shutdown.

Your stipends and tuition will not be affected.

Please let me know if you have any questions."