Details Program / Relocation Flexibility

General Discussion for SMART Scholarship Recipients
Decave

Details Program / Relocation Flexibility

Post by Decave »

Hi everyone,

During my last visit to my sponsoring facility, I learned about the `details' program (it might have been called something different) in which after a certain amount of time working in one branch you are allowed/encouraged to try working in another branch, division, or even sometimes on another base. I was wondering if anyone could give me some more background on the details of this `details' program; or even tell me if this is something that everyone does as it might only be done at the sponsoring facility at which I'll be working. I have yet to start working at the facility and don't know yet whether I'll even want to go somewhere else, but I'm still curious to know what my options are. Does anyone know whether we're allowed to choose what base/location to work with in the `details' program or is it really more limited to the needs of DoD at the time?

Thanks,

Decave

RF_EE

Re: Details Program / Relocation Flexibility

Post by RF_EE »

[Disclaimer - I can only speak for the Navy SFs]

If you're under a Navy/Marine Corps SF, you are required to do two External Rotations (TDY to other facilities for 60 to 90 days) and one Internal Rotation (TDY to another division/department/program office). I don't remember how long the Internal Rotation is supposed to be.

NotTrue

Post by NotTrue »

RF_EE wrote:[Disclaimer - I can only speak for the Navy SFs]

If you're under a Navy/Marine Corps SF, you are required to do two External Rotations (TDY to other facilities for 60 to 90 days) and one Internal Rotation (TDY to another division/department/program office). I don't remember how long the Internal Rotation is supposed to be.
You certainly can't speak for all the Navy SFs. I've been working for a Navy SF for over three years, and we have no requirement to do rotations.

RF_EE

Post by RF_EE »

NotTrue wrote:
RF_EE wrote:[Disclaimer - I can only speak for the Navy SFs]

You certainly can't speak for all the Navy SFs. I've been working for a Navy SF for over three years, and we have no requirement to do rotations.
If you come in the way that the Navy is now trying to bring all SMART scholars in, you are [edit: to the best of my knowledge, based on several conversations with my SF and Service Liason] put in the Navy Acquisition Development Program, which does require the rotations. AFAIK, the intention is that all Navy SMART scholars will be brought in under NADP.

Source: http://acquisition.navy.mil/home/acquis ... /rotations

Nunya

Post by Nunya »

If not DoD wide, or Navy wide, it may be program wide. I know we (under the Demo program) are REQUIRED to work outside our branch, and outside our division (Rotations 4-6 months each), to be eligible for promotion to demo level IV. Details outside the SF all together (12 moths) are “almost required” to be promoted above level IV. Almost meaning, it isn’t written in regulation, but local management will NOT approve the promotion without it. Note the distinction between rotation and detail. My SF very specifically differentiates between the two.