RIF and service commitment?

General Discussion for SMART Scholarship Recipients
Curious

RIF and service commitment?

Post by Curious »

Any thoughts from phase II folks on possible upcoming RIFs fiscal year 2014? Has anyone heard anything concrete. For now, all I have is rumors. Also, what happens if you are hit by the RIF? Is your service commitment over?

Nunya

Re: RIF and service commitment?

Post by Nunya »

I haven’t heard anything beyond the “ghost stories” that RIFs could happen. Regardless, SMART is required to attempt to locate a new SF for you to complete your commitment if you weren’t relocated by the DoD as part of the RIF. If a location couldn’t be located you would be alleviated of the commitment. That part is in the handbook.

Anon15

Post by Anon15 »

From what I understand, your SF would try to relocate you themselves internally. If they cannot, the SMART program get to find another job for you. The scary part is you have to accept any position offered (Could get stuck with job with no resume value and poor pay), and you would be responsible for relocation costs since PCS moves for civilian positions have been suspended DoD wide (according to the Federal Soup forums). I'd probably just walk away at that point and let them bill me since they have a poor track record on even attempting to collect.

I'm preemptively looking for new employment already. I only have about $20k I'd owe if I left now (2/3 prorated amount) and since private sector pay is better than public, even if they actually sent a bill within my state statute of limitations period, I may be financially better off and have a better resume long term. If I can find something that just pays $70k plus a moderate sign on bonus or $80k then I'm gone.

Nunya

Post by Nunya »

PCS pay hasn't been suspended in its entirety. There are several facilities that have removed the option for hires, but there hasn't been anything directly stopping it. There are still plenty of agencies that are paying relocation costs for new employees. I don't know the RIF/BRAC processes enough to say for certain, but I believe relocation costs associated with those are mandatory. Contractors can relocate your position and tell you to foot the bill, but I believe the Fed still has to pay.

guest18

Post by guest18 »

PCS pay has been "suspended" which means it is just harder to get it. Often times they won't pay PCS but they will give a 5,000 signing bonus. Also, if RIFs happen you may not get hired, but you are released from your contract. Same thing if you are already working and get RIFed (which I am hoping for). You were not given a job in your contract, just given a commitment you owe if they have a job for you. They can only send you in the 48 for those jobs.