Working for SF during school year

General Discussion for SMART Scholarship Recipients
thepoo

Working for SF during school year

Post by thepoo »

So my SF wants me to work on a project while going to university. They are unsure how they can pay me while I'm going to school. Has anybody managed to get this done if so how was it accomplished it? Would it be possible to have money routed through the ASEE?

Re: Working for SF during school year

Post by Guest »

thepoo wrote:So my SF wants me to work on a project while going to university. They are unsure how they can pay me while I'm going to school. Has anybody managed to get this done if so how was it accomplished it? Would it be possible to have money routed through the ASEE?
Aren't they already paying you via the stipend?

Post by Guest »

I am unsure if this is even legal, as you are not actually working for the SF until after you graduate and you have signed the paperwork. At best, this sounds like a misunderstanding that you do not work for them until all the paperwork has been done through HR, etc; at worst this sounds like an attempt to get free labor.

Also, the stipend has nothing to do with an SF. The stipend is a DOD paid portion of the SMART scholarship for service program. It does not link you in any way, shape, or form to your SF.

supercontractor

Post by supercontractor »

Actually I have done this and work for my SF during the school year. What they need to do is put you under a different contract. Since you are not a government employee you are a contractor under SMART there is no conflict of interest. I was given the ok from SMART to do this. The easiest way to do this would be to use an already existing contractor at your SF and give them money to hire you part time.