Image Release

General Discussion for SMART Scholarship Recipients
Fingers-Crossed

Image Release

Post by Fingers-Crossed »

I am wondering if anyone else out there had concerns with signing the Release and License to Use Image, Name, and/or Voice aka Image Release document. I have signed similar documents in the past, but this one had several additions to the typical release which caused me some concern. Specifically that I would be giving them full rights to "exploit, adapt, and modify" anything and attribute it to me. Also, this document appears to waive all rights to privacy. Granted, it says that they "shall not use the Information for any criminal or illegal
purpose, or in a manner inconsistent with community standards of decency," but I'm still concerned.

According to the Privacy Act Statement, I don't think this should be required to be a part of the program. So, I put it to the DoD, and I'm waiting for their response. I am just hoping to get your thoughts on it and if anyone else questioned waiving all rights to their identity and privacy.

Just so there's no misunderstanding, I expected to waive some rights to privacy when I considered working for the DoD, I understand that they would need to protect their information and that would require me sacrificing some of my rights. However, this seems to be very vague and open to interpretation and possibly abuse.

Revised 03/25/10
RELEASE AND LICENSE TO USE IMAGE, NAME AND/OR VOICE

This Release and License to Use Image, Name and/or Voice (the “Release”) is used to obtain permission from
individuals to use their image or visual likeness, name, and voice in publications and/or other productions
related to the Science, Mathematics, and Research for Transformation Defense Education Program (“SMART”).

I, the undersigned, hereby grant SMART and/or its agents, employees, licensees and/or assignees permission
to use, exploit, adapt, modify, reproduce, distribute, publicly perform and/or display, in any form now known or later developed, my image or visual likeness, my name, my voice, and information related to my experience with SMART, including but not limited to the dates of participation, the name and location of the academic institution for which I receive or received funding, the benefits and/or the monetary value of the benefits I received under SMART, degree I am pursuing or have earned, location and job description of internship and/or post‐graduation employment, mentor experience, and general statements relating to working for the federal government (collectively the “Information”) throughout the world by incorporating it or them into
publications, catalogues, brochures, books, magazines, photo exhibits, motion picture films, presentations,
internet sites, videotapes, compact discs, other media, and/or commercial, informational, educational,
advertising, or promotional materials (collectively the “Works”).

I hereby release, indemnify, hold harmless, and defend, SMART and/or its agents, employees, licensees and/or assignees from any and all claims, I or any third party, may have now or in the future for invasion of privacy, right of publicity, copyright infringement, defamation, and/or any other cause of action arising out of the use, exploitation, reproduction, adaptation, distribution, broadcast, performance, or display of the Information.

I hereby waive any and all rights to inspect and/or to approve any and all Works that may be created using the
Information. I hereby waive any and all claims or potential claims related to the use to which the Information
may be applied. The Information may be used at the sole discretion of SMART and/or its agents, employees,
licensees and/or assignees, with or without my name or with a fictitious name, and with fictitious or accurate
biographical material, alone or in conjunction with any other material of any kind or nature except that SMART
and its agents, employees, licensees and/or assignees shall not use the Information for any criminal or illegal
purpose, or in a manner inconsistent with community standards of decency.

I understand and agree that SMART is and shall be the exclusive owner of all right, title, and interest, including
copyright, in the Works, and any commercial, informational, educational, advertising, or promotional materials
containing the Information.

I am of full legal age, I have read this Release, and I am fully familiar with its contents.