Attempting SF change. Any advice?

General Discussion for SMART Scholarship Recipients
Lurkish

Attempting SF change. Any advice?

Post by Lurkish »

Hi everyone, I'm attempting to change my SF to a location closer to home. I've found a new SF that will have me and they are currently looking for a spot for me and checking with what needs to be done bureaucratically. I've emailed my CA to let her know I'm pursuing a change and asked what all needed to be done, but I haven't gotten an answer yet. Has anyone here successfully changed SFs? Did you run into any problems? What was the biggest hurtle? What I'm really wondering is, if I make this happen for myself will SMART just go along with it or will they put up a fight and not let me change?

Re: Attempting SF change. Any advice?

Post by Guest »

Lurkish wrote:Hi everyone, I'm attempting to change my SF to a location closer to home. I've found a new SF that will have me and they are currently looking for a spot for me and checking with what needs to be done bureaucratically. I've emailed my CA to let her know I'm pursuing a change and asked what all needed to be done, but I haven't gotten an answer yet. Has anyone here successfully changed SFs? Did you run into any problems? What was the biggest hurtle? What I'm really wondering is, if I make this happen for myself will SMART just go along with it or will they put up a fight and not let me change?
I've had friends who changed SF and the biggest hurdle seems to be whether or not your current SF will allow the change. Working out all the particulars yourself will make the decision easy for the SMART office, but if your original facility does not agree that they are ill-suited to take you on, then SMART won't readily agree to you transferring.

Also, the ability of your current and future facilities to hire you in the time of uncertainty will certainly be taken into account by SMART. If your future facility has a horrible track record of hiring SMART scholars through the hiring freeze, then they likely won't agree.

Lurkish

Post by Lurkish »

Thanks Guest, my current SF has been very supportive in my desire to change and has even given me contacts at other facilities. They would rather have me 100% happy than keep me here.

The SF I'm seeking to move to has just hired some SMART scholars for Phase 2 and I think their track record is good. They are currently looking for a needed position that I could potentially fill, so I feel like the outlook for being hired in Phase 2 is good.

I had another concern. I think I read in another thread that it's not possible to change SF while still in Phase 1. IIRC you have to work for the current SF for a least a short while in Phase 2 before changing SF. Anyone know if this is correct?

Post by Guest »

Lurkish wrote:I had another concern. I think I read in another thread that it's not possible to change SF while still in Phase 1. IIRC you have to work for the current SF for a least a short while in Phase 2 before changing SF. Anyone know if this is correct?
That's false. I had a friend chance SF while still in Phase 1.

Lurkish

Post by Lurkish »

Guest wrote:
Lurkish wrote:I had another concern. I think I read in another thread that it's not possible to change SF while still in Phase 1. IIRC you have to work for the current SF for a least a short while in Phase 2 before changing SF. Anyone know if this is correct?
That's false. I had a friend chance SF while still in Phase 1.
That's good to hear. Do you know the circumstances of their change? Why they wanted to change and how they got approval to change?

Post by Guest »

They were selected for a SF by a mentor who transferred/got promoted 6 months after selection notices went out. So the SMART scholar showed up at the facility to be mentored by a mentor who never selected him, and had no idea what type of work his degree was suited for. After wasting away one summer of his time, he approached his CA to let them know he wasn't sure he was actually be utilized. His CA asked the new mentor if this was true and the new mentor agreed that he wasn't sure what to use the SMART scholar for. The liaison then "started" trying to find placement within the DoD for the student. The liaison's attempts were pretty half-hearted and didn't really do much for the scholar.

In the end, through personal contacts of the student, he found a sponsor facility and mentor who would be able to use him and together they contacted the SMART Program Office and offered to make the transfer happen. Then it went pretty smoothly.

guest35

Post by guest35 »

Does anyone think that actually becoming a Naval, Army, or Air Force Officer would constitute a change in SF? In theory this would seem to make sense especially for something like nuclear propulsion or core of engineers, but I don't believe the pool of money overlaps in any way what so ever. Thoughts?

Guest18

Post by Guest18 »

Tried to go active a few years back. SMART told me no. You can go into the reserves or guard and your time away on training counts towards your pay back (which could be the entire payback period if you get a long slot like flight school). I also believe AGR skirts the law and would be allowed, but joining active duty is not until your commitment is complete.