University stipend and SMART stipend

General Discussion for SMART Scholarship Recipients
Anyone

University stipend and SMART stipend

Post by Anyone »

Hi everyone,

I am looking to get advice from current PhD students who are receiving the SMART stipend. Many universities have stipends (25-30K) for research and teaching assistants and tuition is usually paid as well. Is the SMART stipend in addition to the university stipend or is it an "either or" deal?? Essentially I am asking if it is possible to collect the 25K from your university and 40K from SMART? Sounds too good to be true, but considering the work commitment, I thought it may be a major factor in PhDs applying for SMART.

Thanks in advance for any insights

Fingers-Crossed

Re: University stipend and SMART stipend

Post by Fingers-Crossed »

You can receive both, but it has to be approved. Their intention in not wanting their students to work is that they want us focused on our studies and not outside distractions. However, if the research is directly related to your area of study and your dissertation, I don't see why they would object since the research needs to be done whether you're being paid or not.

Keep in mind, that several people on here would recommend that if you already have your tuition paid and a stipend of 25-30K that you not bother with SMART as the headaches and disappointments in Phase 2 simply aren't worth the extra income. I have not taken their advice and am hoping to receive this scholarship, however I wasn't offered as much of a stipend for my graduate studies (I am just starting on my Master's, although I intend to get my PhD, my school doesn't consider students for full funding until they have completed their MS). Half my tuition paid and a 13K stipend isn't enough to keep me from looking for other options.

This is from the SMART website:
Participants are generally not permitted to accept employment outside the Program. Upon prior written approval from the SMART Program Office, a Participant may accept a position as a teaching assistant or research assistant if the activity directly and substantially contributes to the participant's academic progress. Other employment may be authorized on a limited basis in the discretion of the SMART Program Office. Participants are not permitted to work more than 16 hours per week. The SMART Program Office reserves the right to limit the number of hours worked and/or revoke authorization for outside employment if, in the opinion of the SMART Program Office, the work negatively impacts the Participant's grades or ability to fulfill the terms of the service agreement.

Post by Guest »

They don't want you to get TA or RA pay while on the scholarship. I had an RA when I started (2011 cohort) and they let me run out my contract meaning I may have gotten both incomes for like a week.

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:They don't want you to get TA or RA pay while on the scholarship. I had an RA when I started (2011 cohort) and they let me run out my contract meaning I may have gotten both incomes for like a week.
That's not true at all. Especially for RA's doing PhD research. Also, if TA is required by the program they let you as well. It's just employment and is approved just like if you work at starbucks.

Post by Guest »

Well the 2011 cohort wasn't allowed to keep their RA pay.

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:Well the 2011 cohort wasn't allowed to keep their RA pay.
I doubt the problem.was from.SMART
Most universities have funding maximums. That's what happened in my case. The university cut off my funding. Later I got them to agree to give it back and SMART didn't mind at all.