Best Bases for Engineering Work

General Discussion for SMART Scholarship Recipients
SilverFox22

Best Bases for Engineering Work

Post by SilverFox22 »

Does anyone know exactly which bases have a significant amount of engineering work and related research going on, rather than acquisitions? I've heard the Air Force research lab has this, but what about other bases? Anyone with summer internship experience at a place with engineering tasks?

Guest911

Re: Best Bases for Engineering Work

Post by Guest911 »

China Lake NAWS is a research facility focused on Naval air weapons development. If you're interested in missiles, propulsion, aircraft design, explosives, etc. it may be a place worth-while to look into. It's kind of in the middle of no-where though. It has a small town called Ridgecrest attached to it with a population of around 30k. So if you like the small-town feel, then you'll love it.

Small

Post by Small »

HAHAHA, I had to comment on your statement that 30k is a small town. Obviously, it's all a matter of perspective, and I would never call 30k large, but I’ve lived in places with populations under 1k.

blah321

Post by blah321 »

I couldn't stand Edwards. I might have cried if I was stuck at China Lake.

SilverFox22

Post by SilverFox22 »

Guest 911, Are you at China Lake now? One of my co-workers did testing at China Lake. If you're there, how do you like it? Do you think there would be good challenging work for a mechanical engineer?

And blah321, why couldn't you stand Edwards? What did you do there? Where are you now?

Thanks

Guest 314

Post by Guest 314 »

What about ERDC - Geotechnical and Structures Lab (GSL) in Vicksburg, MS? Has anyone worked there that they can give me an idea if its mostly actual R&D work or did they just paint a pretty picture?