Contacted by SF

General Discussion for SMART Scholarship Recipients
SMARTNewbie

Contacted by SF

Post by SMARTNewbie »

Just found out about this site yesterday, great site! It so happens that today I was contacted by a SF (NSWC Crane) stating that they may be interested in having me on board. The only thing is that this wasn't in my top 3 choices, and I preferred a SF close to home (MD/DC/VA). I plan on pursuing a PhD, so that would amount to about 5 years of schooling. I was also offered a GTA/GRA by my school for the duration of my time there.

My question is mainly directed towards those who are already in/have done SMART. Is it possible to request a transfer at some point, or would I be locked in to the same SF for the duration of my time? Five years after graduating is a big commitment, especially since I've been down that road already (I did five years in the military when I got out of high school, and those years didn't exactly fly by).

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Info for those interested:
Major: EE
Area of Interest: Wireless communications
Degree pursuing: PhD
GPA: 3.7
Military experience: 5 years enlisted service (submarine service)

SMARTNewbie

Re: Contacted by SF

Post by SMARTNewbie »

For clarity, what I mean about 5 years being a long time is that it is a long time to be away from my preferred geographical location. For many reasons, I prefer to stay in the DC area, and I wouldn't have a problem with a 5 year commitment to the DoD if I could be located in the area.

Post by Guest »

SMARTNewbie wrote:For clarity, what I mean about 5 years being a long time is that it is a long time to be away from my preferred geographical location. For many reasons, I prefer to stay in the DC area, and I wouldn't have a problem with a 5 year commitment to the DoD if I could be located in the area.
You'd rather be in DC. I'm in DC and I'd rather be in Indiana. Too bad we can't trade!

Nunya

Post by Nunya »

Transferring SFs during phase II is very rare. Once you've completed your commitment, transferring within the DoD is pretty easy. That is assuming you do want to stick around. Honestly, if you don't NEED the scholarship to pay for school, or if you don't NEED it to get a foot in the door with the DoD don't take it. I can tell you from personal experience you likely won’t be doing any work that actually uses your degree, and from others I’ve read/talked to this is painfully consistent. It also seems to get worse the higher degree you have. With a PhD, you’re going to end up in program management, or just management, and you won’t have any contact with actual “hardware.” If you want to stay near DC and work for the DoD look into facilities directly. There are several “scholarship” type programs that the facility can get you into if you get a job with them. I know Indian Head, and Dahlgren specifically have programs that pay for service. Of course, not all of these might have funding given the current fiscal BS going on.

sc_2012

Post by sc_2012 »

The first year that I applied for SMART, I was interviewed by my 3rd choice SF. After visiting their site, I knew I wasn't interested in living there (the work seemed okay, but I despised the location). My 1st choice SF didn't notice me or have the need that year. I didn't end up with a SMART scholarship that year, but was chosen by my 1st choice SF the next year.

I would pass on the SF that isn't a top choice and look for other options. If you are still interested in working for your listed SFs next year, apply for SMART again (or some other program). You may be a better fit for your top choices next year (like I was). I am genuinely excited about the job I am going to have at my SF once I graduate and I am very glad I didn't pursue that first offer. Since you have the GTA/GRA offer from your school, you are in a position where you can wait for what you really want.

Sorry, but I cannot speak to transferring SFs, I just waited for my top choice.

GuestTk

Post by GuestTk »

SMARTNewbie,

I have been to Crane on travel, its in the middle of nowhere...Bloomington, IN is the closest civilization, so if you are alright with the location, they do pretty neat testing. However, you mentioned you would want to stay in MD,DC,VA, so I assume you want to be where there is some civilization. 5 Years in the middle of nowhere especially when you want to be in a city can suck...this is the position I am in now, and I am almost ready to just pay back the money. If you have a GTA/GRA, I would just take the traditional route.

Just my 2 cents...
SMARTNewbie wrote:Just found out about this site yesterday, great site! It so happens that today I was contacted by a SF (NSWC Crane) stating that they may be interested in having me on board. The only thing is that this wasn't in my top 3 choices, and I preferred a SF close to home (MD/DC/VA). I plan on pursuing a PhD, so that would amount to about 5 years of schooling. I was also offered a GTA/GRA by my school for the duration of my time there.

My question is mainly directed towards those who are already in/have done SMART. Is it possible to request a transfer at some point, or would I be locked in to the same SF for the duration of my time? Five years after graduating is a big commitment, especially since I've been down that road already (I did five years in the military when I got out of high school, and those years didn't exactly fly by).

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Info for those interested:
Major: EE
Area of Interest: Wireless communications
Degree pursuing: PhD
GPA: 3.7
Military experience: 5 years enlisted service (submarine service)

SMARTNewbie

Post by SMARTNewbie »

Thanks to everyone for all the replies. I received a call from another SF yesterday, this time it was from Port Mugu. Although this location seemed a bit more interesting, it seems to me from stories on this forum that I may have a low likelihood of being happy with the outcome of this program. When it is all said and done and my commitment is over, 10 years will be up, and I will be pushing 40. That is time I can't make up. I spent 5 years in the military, and I greatly disliked the fact that I couldn't move on to something else despite how bad my job was at times, and that I wasn't in control of my own destiny.

Thank God for this forum. If it wasn't for this, I may have gone down another one way street that was longer than the last one I went down. Looks like it's time for me to look elsewhere, take my GTA offer, and let someone else have the scholarship (who would possibly enjoy it more).