Biosciences?

General Discussion for SMART Scholarship Recipients
Bioengineer

Biosciences?

Post by Bioengineer »

Hello fellow SMART students,

I was contemplating on applying this next round for a SMART scholarship through the DOD. I was wondering if I could only do this for a year, as I usually do summer research for other schools (A&M, Lamar University, etc.)

I'm a biosciences major (mathematics and biological engineering). This is the first semester in which I declared a biological engineering major, so I only have 1 bioengineering class (drug delivery). My other classes are all applied math and physics.

What are my prospects?

4.0 GPA, sophomore, I transferred from a CC to a 4 year uni this past semester. I've taken math up to diff eq/linear algebra, I've also taken physics I and II, Chem I and II, and made all A's so far.

I have a publication from A&M on math modeling and another publication from UH on mathematical methods of heat transfer approximation.

I have very bad extracurricular, and I'm dyslexic. I'm a little shy, too.

Guest22

Re: Biosciences?

Post by Guest22 »

Can't speak for your chances but I had similar credentials with a different degree focus and got it. It doesn't hurt to apply.

RPI CSE

Re: Biosciences?

Post by RPI CSE »

Bioengineer wrote:I was contemplating on applying this next round for a SMART scholarship through the DOD. I was wondering if I could only do this for a year, as I usually do summer research for other schools (A&M, Lamar University, etc.)
So no real comments on your chances, you really need to apply to find out. But what do you mean "only do this for a year"?

This scholarship is a 1 to 1 scholarship for service. They pay for you to go to school for x number of years and you work for them for x number of years after you graduate. Once you start the program your school is paid for until you complete your degree.

Unless I misunderstood what you said, if so please let me know!