Internship payments

General Discussion for SMART Scholarship Recipients
guest2

Internship payments

Post by guest2 »

I'm a 2012 Cohort recipient, and my service agreement says we get $1000/week during our internships. Is that only if we're more than 50 miles from our SF and do the internship travel request, or does everyone get that?

Smart_Ed

Re: Internship payments

Post by Smart_Ed »

You only get it if you live outside the 50 miles. Experienced this last year. I believe they tried to cut it to $500 payments but everybody gets paid during their internship last year, but there was a huge backlash and they reverted this back to the original rule.

Grand scheme of things, it's not a huge deal. It is a little disappointing when you run into cases where for example, someone's "school address" is over 50 miles away yet they come home for the summer and live with their parents, a couple miles from the base. They get it, you don't. My home and school are both within 50 miles of my base.

I had originally scheduled a 12 week internship. When I found out I wasn't getting paid any extra, I cut it back to 8. You don't have any other options, though. The stipend by itself isn't bad pay for an internship...

smart_hopeful

Post by smart_hopeful »

Smart_Ed wrote:I had originally scheduled a 12 week internship. When I found out I wasn't getting paid any extra, I cut it back to 8. You don't have any other options, though. The stipend by itself isn't bad pay for an internship...
Are you sure about this? I'm doing a 12-week, and the internship guidelines are pretty explicit:
If a participant is eligible for ISP, the disbursement dates are set forth on the processed Internship Travel
Request. Eligible participants receive ISP for each week the participant completes the internship, up to a
maximum of 12 weeks.
If the 8-week people are getting 12 weeks pay, more power to 'em. If the 12 week people are getting 8 weeks pay, I'm gonna raise a ruckus. My extended stay apartment isn't going to pay for itself for four weeks.

Nunya

Post by Nunya »

What he's saying is that if you live too close to your SF (50 mi) you don't get the additional intership payments. If you're getting the pay you get it for the number of weeks you perform the internship. If you are there for 8 you get payed for 8, 9 you get payed for 9 etc..

guest2

Post by guest2 »

Anyone know if this is 50 miles by road or 50 miles by air?

GUEST111

Post by GUEST111 »

It's by driving. If its a reasonable route, they give it to you.

Nunya

Post by Nunya »

From my understanding, if you plug your "permanent" address and the address of your SF into Google maps that mileage is/close enough to what they use.

nonyadang

Post by nonyadang »

Has anyone heard if we are getting our weekly internship payments this summer

Post by Guest »

nonyadang wrote:Has anyone heard if we are getting our weekly internship payments this summer
Yes, of course we are :)

Post by Guest »

Got my 1st payment this morning.

stuffnstuff

Post by stuffnstuff »

did anyone else get there internship summer pay??? I thought that wasnt til may I just got the usualy 2083

Post by Guest »

You should get the ISP the month before your internship start date. I start in May so got mine with my April payment.