May/June Graduation

General Discussion for SMART Scholarship Recipients
Nunya

Re: May/June Graduation

Post by Nunya »

Agent99 wrote:I've been circulating my resume since graduation. This is week 6 after graduation for me with no offer letter but SF's HR has been in touch "offering" a lower grade/pay position while I'm getting better hit. SF wants me to onboard July 1 (with furloughs starting July 8) with no relo or travel pay. If I accept SF's raw deal in the interim, is it problematic to bail when something better solidifies?
Unfortunately, you don’t really have much of a choice. The way SMART works you have to accept the crap offer or owe the money back. If you don’t complete the commitment, you owe a prorated amount back (although no one has been billed yet that has posted). Obviously, you have to evaluate what is best for your situation, but when you’re comparing dollar figures make sure you add what SMART has paid you (stipend and tuition) on to your SF’s offer. Also, unless you are EXTREAMLY comfortable that the work you’ll be doing actually pertains to your career assume it won’t be applicable experience. Good luck.

Post by Guest »

Nunya wrote:Unfortunately, you don’t really have much of a choice. The way SMART works you have to accept the crap offer or owe the money back. If you don’t complete the commitment, you owe a prorated amount back (although no one has been billed yet that has posted). Obviously, you have to evaluate what is best for your situation, but when you’re comparing dollar figures make sure you add what SMART has paid you (stipend and tuition) on to your SF’s offer. Also, unless you are EXTREAMLY comfortable that the work you’ll be doing actually pertains to your career assume it won’t be applicable experience. Good luck.
I know of someone who gave the SF ample opportunities to hire him at or near the initial "offer". The initial offer usually can't be official, but this student took the SMART scholarship based on email communications about standard hiring offers dictated by OPM guidelines for PhDs at that particular SF. When the time came to get hired several years later, the SF could not present an offer that met the previously mentioned OPM guidelines. The SF (possibly by pressure from the SMART scholarship office) instead chose to circumvent the system and present an offer that was appropriate for a BS degree (by OPM guidelines). About 30% lower than the already super low pay that OPM recommends paying PhD engineers and scientists.

The scholar rejected the lowball offer and was eventually released without obligation to repay the scholarship.

If your SF decides to do something like this to you, I urge you to contact a lawyer or contact SMART management (not your CA or your service liaison). If you can't get anything done on that front, contact your elected representative and ask them to send an inquiry to SMART management on your behalf.

contemplating_smart

Post by contemplating_smart »

concerned_SMART wrote:Just wanted to update everyone that I did receive another letter about my withdrawal.

"Instructions for refunding to the United States an appropriate amount as determined by the Office of the Secretary of Defense (Section 2192a, Title 10) will be provided to you at a later date."

Anyone that withdrew from the program receive this as well?
If you don't mind please let us know what they want reimbursed and if they want a lump sum or payments. I am not real happy with what I am seeing this summer and I am trying to weigh my options prior to graduation.

upsetSMART

Post by upsetSMART »

contemplating_smart wrote:
concerned_SMART wrote:Just wanted to update everyone that I did receive another letter about my withdrawal.

"Instructions for refunding to the United States an appropriate amount as determined by the Office of the Secretary of Defense (Section 2192a, Title 10) will be provided to you at a later date."

If you don't mind please let us know what they want reimbursed and if they want a lump sum or payments. I am not real happy with what I am seeing this summer and I am trying to weigh my options prior to graduation.
As far as I know, no one has actually gotten reimbursement instructions or a bill yet. At least no one posting on the forum has talked about it from what I'v seen.

concerned_SMART

Post by concerned_SMART »

upsetSMART wrote:
contemplating_smart wrote:

As far as I know, no one has actually gotten reimbursement instructions or a bill yet. At least no one posting on the forum has talked about it from what I'v seen.
Correct. I have not received actual terms of the repayment, just a letter stating that they will send them when they do.

Kaelinth

Post by Kaelinth »

For those of you concerned on hiring, they are getting everything out, it's just taking a VERY long time (and some seriously diligence on the part of HR and your SF mentors).

Post by Guest »

Kaelinth wrote:For those of you concerned on hiring, they are getting everything out, it's just taking a VERY long time (and some seriously diligence on the part of HR and your SF mentors).
What does "getting everything out" mean?

And can you speak for the WHOLE DoD when you mention that hiring is just going to take a long time (as opposed to maybe not ever occurring)?