Acceptance 2013

General Discussion for SMART Scholarship Recipients
curiousengineer

Acceptance 2013

Post by curiousengineer »

Hi,
I am a freshman applicant from RPI with a 3.50 GPA in EE major. I am just wondering if the university carries any weight on my application. Also, am I correct in saying the the DoD WILL notify me if I am not selected?

Thanks

jimjohnson

Re: Acceptance 2013

Post by jimjohnson »

curiousengineer wrote:Hi,
I am a freshman applicant from RPI with a 3.50 GPA in EE major. I am just wondering if the university carries any weight on my application. Also, am I correct in saying the the DoD WILL notify me if I am not selected?

Thanks
I got a scholarship from them for 2 years. Here is how they work it. Your major is most important. Since EE is what most want then you are good. Then a committee reviews what you are interested in and calls you for a telephone interview. Finally, they sort through based upon GPA and select the candidate.

I would suggest finding out what your site does by looking at the website. Pick out key words and mention them in
your interview. Remember to be interested in what they have to offer.

In my experience they don't care about your university.

Post by Guest »

Am I on track as far as gpa.

Also do they care about coursework?

johnjohnson

Post by johnjohnson »

Guest wrote:Am I on track as far as gpa.

Also do they care about coursework?
I don't think they care about coursework. The interview is just to see if
fit in. For instance, if they do testing, they don't want to hear that you are only
interested in development.

They are more interested in why you selected their site. Are you interested in their location for some reason.

Do you have relatives nearby ... etc. It is always good to say you have someone nearby as they feel you
are more likely to stay and be happy.

They don't ask many technical questions. They read from your resume and ask about things that interests them.

One group asked why I joined IEEE .

Post by Guest »

I suppose theres not much more I can do than just wait it out. Thanks for all the comments guys! I'll be eagerly awaiting that call