Security Clearance Paperwork

General Discussion for SMART Scholarship Recipients
kem0022

Security Clearance Paperwork

Post by kem0022 »

Has anyone received their security clearance paperwork yet? I talked to my SF about it and they said I should have received it already. I then contacted SMART and was told that my question was forwarded to the appropriate person, but I have yet to get an answer. I'm starting to get worried...

Guest18

Re: Security Clearance Paperwork

Post by Guest18 »

Ask SMART again. It happened to me way back in 2008/2009. I never received an email in the fall of 08 that instructed me to complete the paperwork on eQuip. February ish while on vacation I got an email that said I had to have it done with in 48 hours or else SMART was dropping me. The eQuip system had some issues identifying me and SPO was ridiculously rude about the whole situation (Threatening me a bunch and asking why I never followed up the original email, the one I never got even after searching through all of my emails). All I can say is stay on top of it, and if SPO tells you they are working on it, get it in writting (email) because they seemed to always "forget" what they said over the phone.

kem0022

Post by kem0022 »

I keep trying and have been told multiple times that my request has been forwarded to the appropriate personel. I have been working on this for weeks and am starting to get really stressed about it...

smart_applicant_189

Post by smart_applicant_189 »

I'm having a similar experience. I was told by my SF to get have SMART start the clearance process. I emailed SMART and they said my request was forwarded to the "Security Manager." That was on Jan 7th. I haven't heard anything from anyone yet. I'd be bothering them about this but I'm more concerned about whether the program is running out of money since they shorted us on January's stipend.

kem0022

Post by kem0022 »

I just talked to my CA and was told that no one had been sent clearance paperwork yet. This actually makes me feel a bit better, since it is not only me. Hopefully that will come along soon. But yes, the delayed payment is a more immediate worry.

smart_hopeful

Post by smart_hopeful »

Just got this via email:
2012 SMART Cohort Participant,

Due to administrative changes in the SMART program we have been delayed in initiating the security investigation that is needed in order to get you access to your sponsoring facility, that being said we will be sending out instructions on how to complete the investigations process early next week. Since we will have a truncated time table to get participants cleared there will be a short turnaround time from the moment you receive your investigation instructions to the time the completed paperwork will need to be submitted back to the SMART Program Office (14 days). Attached is a sample of the type of information that will be required in the Electronic Questionnaire for Investigations Processing (e-QIP) and it is HIGHLY recommended you use the attached form to start gathering your background information going back 10 years to assist you when filling out the actual questionnaire. Please keep in mind that the attached form is just a guide and not an exact representation of the e-QIP questionnaire you will be filling out for the clearance process.

You will also soon be receiving two fingerprint cards in the mail as well as instructions on how and where you can get your fingerprints taken. These fingerprint cards must be completed and returned with all other applicable paperwork you will be instructed to mail to the SPO after you’ve completed the e-QIP process.

Please note that a security clearance is an integral part of your participation with the SMART program and not completing the security process in a timely fashion or not taking it seriously can have adverse affects on your internship, hiring process, or further participation with the SMART program.

If you have any questions about the security process please send them to smartsecurity@nps.edu.

Brian J. Padilla
SMART Scholarship Program
SMART Security Manager
Com: 831-333-3002
Fax: 831-657-9105
I think this must vary SF to SF. I was contacted by DoD Central Processing Services about a month ago. Everything on my end - SF-86, interviews, etc - is done and submitted. Currently I'm just twiddling my thumbs as they conduct the background investigation in the field.

Guest18

Post by Guest18 »

This shouldn't very SF to SF unless you have an SF that requires a TS or higher. Everyone should be working with the SMART sec officer and if your SF is running it then you are really lucky. SMART agrees to get everyone a Secret before they ever deal with their SF. The only change, like I said, is if you need a higher one and it would be a waste to clear you twice.

smart_hopeful

Post by smart_hopeful »

Guest18 wrote:This shouldn't very SF to SF unless you have an SF that requires a TS or higher.
I guess that would explain it. Mine's DIA, and in terms of clearance they (quite reasonably) require the whole kit and caboodle.

Keyes133

Post by Keyes133 »

Did anyone get their security clearance instructions yet ? I thought we were supposed to get it early this week.

2012 Recipient

Post by 2012 Recipient »

Keyes133 wrote:Did anyone get their security clearance instructions yet ? I thought we were supposed to get it early this week.
I thought so too, but so far, nothing.

2012_UMD

Post by 2012_UMD »

Got the fingerprinting stuff today.