Future Summer Internship Pay Shenanigans

General Discussion for SMART Scholarship Recipients
Guest22

Future Summer Internship Pay Shenanigans

Post by Guest22 »

So last summer as we all know SMART attempted to cut our summer funding.

They rescinded that later, and have only reduced the funding of future cohorts.

For those of us who received $1200/week last summer and still have a summer internship this upcoming summer, I wonder if we should expect more shenanigans or if the issue was resolved in a permanent manner last summer.

Just a thread for discussion on this topic

guestiethingee

Re: Future Summer Internship Pay Shenanigans

Post by guestiethingee »

Ya so I sent an email asking exactly this. They basically said that they were not going to discuss it at this time, which makes me feel that they are trying to screw us again

Post by Guest »

If it happens again, we will unite again, and demand to either be payed our contracted amount or be let out of the program.

But it would totally suck if they try that @*%& again.

Post by Guest »

"If it happens again, we will unite again..."

Exactly!

empty

Post by empty »

I have a feeling they won't do anything to modify monetary compensation in the future. My guess is that legal counsel has told them to never comment on any sort of future financial obligations because it can be construed as a binding contract if they do.

I think there is an understanding of how contract law works now and they're just protecting themselves.

Guest22

Post by Guest22 »

Guest wrote:"If it happens again, we will unite again..."

Exactly!
While this is comforting, it also raises a concern as well. Remember, last summer there were a lot of people who got screwed. This upcoming summer, if it happens again, will have many less people getting screwed, as the new interns will have their pay "cut" legitimately. So we have less people to rally this time around.

If, however, they changed their minds last time not because of the ruckus we raised, but because they actually realized they were wrong, then we would be much better off. Hopefully the other poster is right about their legal counsel advising them not to move forward with the alterations to the contracts.

GuestNovember232012

Post by GuestNovember232012 »

I remember seeing an email last summer stating that the future internships will be paid $600 per week, but that the SF would be "encouraged" to make up the difference. I would really contact your CA with this one on the correct answer.

Post by Guest »

This year's scholars were offered $1000 per week during internships. (At least that's what 2 of them told me.)

If previous year's cohorts are to get shafted, I think it would be to the tune of $1000 per week instead of $1200.

2012Recipient

Post by 2012Recipient »

So, I just read this form on their website, and it says that the support payments are $600 per week. I definitely remember reading that they were $1000/week; what is up with that?

Post by Guest »

2012Recipient wrote:So, I just read this form on their website, and it says that the support payments are $600 per week. I definitely remember reading that they were $1000/week; what is up with that?
I wouldn't worry too much about that. They posted that when they were trying to give us only $600 per week; they just haven't ever taken it down.

TTU_Awardee

Post by TTU_Awardee »

2012Recipient wrote:So, I just read this form on their website, and it says that the support payments are $600 per week. I definitely remember reading that they were $1000/week; what is up with that?

Cohort 2012 here,

The paperwork I signed said $1000/week. That's what I expect. If it differs then we will be in the same boat as last year and that worked out in our favor...