Mo' Money, Mo' Problems

General Discussion for SMART Scholarship Recipients
smart_hopeful

Mo' Money, Mo' Problems

Post by smart_hopeful »

Just got the following email from the SMART office:
Congratulations again on your SMART Scholarship award. The SMART Program Office (SPO) conducts welcome sessions with new Scholars to go over SMART Scholarship Program details. You will be contacted regarding this interview shortly by that office. Unfortunately, without this welcome session, you are not authorized to receive the payments that would normally pay in August. You will receive those payments, but not until September. On the third Friday of September, assuming the successful completion of the welcome session, you will receive the August Stipend, September Stipend, Health Insurance Allowance, and Book Allowance as one combined payment. Please let us know if you have any questions.
While I do like the idea of rolling around like Scrooge McDuck in a gigantic pile of money on the third Friday in September, it is unfortunately also true that a) rent will be due as usual on September 1 and b) my prior source of income - my research assistantship - no longer exists in view of the fact that I'm supported by a fellowship.

Oh well. I guess we can't say we weren't warned.

Lurkish

Re: Mo' Money, Mo' Problems

Post by Lurkish »

While I do like the idea of rolling around like Scrooge McDuck in a gigantic pile of money on the third Friday in September..
I must say, when I read the email I was a little mad, but your imagery has made me feel a lot better.

smart_hopeful

Post by smart_hopeful »

Heh, well, I'm glad about that. Fortunately I've got some money saved and the delay won't be much more than an inconvenience.

Post by Guest »

Does this mean that we wont get our check until September for sure, or only if we don't go through with the welcome session?

2012_UMD

Post by 2012_UMD »

Weird, 'cause I got paid ...