State Taxes

General Discussion for SMART Scholarship Recipients
2012_UMD

State Taxes

Post by 2012_UMD »

So, here is my question: I'm a student at the University of Maryland, have the SMART scholarship (housed in DC or CA, depending on how you determine it), and will be working at a facility in Virginia. With all of this, I also have done my best to on paper retain my Tennessee citizenship for personal reasons.

Soooo what state taxes would I pay? Maryland? DC? VA? TN (which has no state income tax).

Re: State Taxes

Post by Guest »

State taxes are wherever you're a resident of at as far as I know. Where your DL is from and such. Whenever you go to work at your facility permanently, because of state laws and such, you will have to change everything to be over to that state as far as I know. Not 100%, but I'd say around 80% sure that's how it is.

empty

Post by empty »

State taxes are from the state in which you earned the money (generally).

You figure the rest out because SMART is a bit of a conundrum. I would say you "earned" it wherever you went to school, but that's just an opinion.

I've had an NC driver's license and not filed any taxes for that state in 4 years as I've not earned income in that state.

2012_UMD

Post by 2012_UMD »

For those interested, I talked to the IRS who said that this varies from state to state, and you need to call the comptroller of the state you live in during the school year. Maryland considers anyone in the state for more than 180 days a "statuatory resident", which is a resident for tax purposes only (you can vote and register your car elsewhere).