2012 Cohort, Atte-e-e-ntion!

General Discussion for SMART Scholarship Recipients
2012_UMD

2012 Cohort, Atte-e-e-ntion!

Post by 2012_UMD »

A thread for the 130(+ 20, dod willing) 2012 cohorts. How's the paperwork treating you?

2012 recipient

Re: 2012 Cohort, Atte-e-e-ntion!

Post by 2012 recipient »

So far so good. I have everything done except my EWP, which in my case is a little difficult because I am doing a joint BS/MS. I have a lot more classes to pick from for my senior year and beyond and it gets a little hard making sure i take into account prerequisites as well as the fact some classes are only taught every other year.

ma82am

Post by ma82am »

In terms of paperwork, same as above ^^

Heard from my POC today that there's no orientation this year - has anyone else heard this?

Lurkish

Post by Lurkish »

I'm having trouble in that they have the wrong university listed on all my paper work. I requested an award adjustment request yesterday and it says it's "pending". Did anyone else have to request an adjustment or know how long it will take? I emailed smart but got no answer.

curious

Post by curious »

ma82am wrote:In terms of paperwork, same as above ^^

Heard from my POC today that there's no orientation this year - has anyone else heard this?
I confirmed no orientation this year with asee.

2012_UMD

Post by 2012_UMD »

Yea, I'm working on the Educational work plan, too. I just realized that all of this is due in 9 days, so I've told my adviser that this is my priority to get complete before returning to work.

Three Point One Four

Post by Three Point One Four »

2012_UMD wrote:Yea, I'm working on the Educational work plan, too. I just realized that all of this is due in 9 days, so I've told my adviser that this is my priority to get complete before returning to work.
Didn't the update email say that EWPs are no longer required?

ma82am

Post by ma82am »

Three Point One Four wrote:
2012_UMD wrote:Yea, I'm working on the Educational work plan, too. I just realized that all of this is due in 9 days, so I've told my adviser that this is my priority to get complete before returning to work.
I didn't get any email regarding a change in paperwork req's... though I would be grateful if this was true. When did they send this email out?

Three Point One Four

ma82am wrote:I didn't get any email regarding a change in paperwork req's... though I would be grateful if this was true. When did they send this email out?
Yesterday, June 12 at 6:51 PM titled "SMART Participant Handbook Revised, 2012".

guestUF

Post by guestUF »

Three Point One Four: With all do respect, I believe you are confusing 2012 cohorts. EWP is still required for us new cohorts. I think they only need to be done once now instead of yearly like in the past. Please remember that the new 2012 cohorts have not gotten an email with changes and are just following the current requirements.

You most likely have already filled out an EWP when you started.

smart_hopeful

Post by smart_hopeful »

2012 cohort here. No email about changes, and the acceptance letter says to fill out a work plan. I assume that's likely to be true for all us new people.

Guess I should pick a new username, while I'm at it.

Guest22

Post by Guest22 »

2011 Cohort here.

If you guys haven't gotten an email or receieved in any fashion the new 2012 handbook, I'd suggest you contact SMART to talk to them about the EWP>

The new 2012 handbook, which is valid for all cohorts, says no EWP. Just end of year reports.

I'd email SMART before spending time on an EWP you probably don't have to do.

TTU_Awardee

Post by TTU_Awardee »

Page 35 of 35 in the 2012 handbook... 7th line down in the table...

(Participant Type) All Participants, (Requirement) Draft Educational Work Plan, (Due Date) As Requested, (Frequency) Once, (Handbook) Section 6.1.

I have not received an email about not having to complete the Draft EWP and the 2012 handbook says it must be completed once.

TTU_Awardee

Post by TTU_Awardee »

One other thing. I have just confirmed with SMART office that there's not a stipend difference between working on PhD and being a PhD candidate (10% bonus from $38k to $41.8k). Not going to complain with the overall offer but felt a little mislead in the application process.

2012_UMD

Post by 2012_UMD »

Blah blah blah

Anyone know what the next step is? I can't find any info on how to get reimbursed for health insurance or to get the ball rolling about tuition/fees payment. An orientation would've been nice ....

Three Point One Four

2012_UMD wrote:Blah blah blah

Anyone know what the next step is? I can't find any info on how to get reimbursed for health insurance or to get the ball rolling about tuition/fees payment. An orientation would've been nice ....
For the 2011 cohort last year, health insurance reimbursment simply required a form and proof of coverage showing the cost and dates covered; the form is on the SMART website. SMART sent a letter to my school with the names of all the SMART scholars they would be paying tuition for that year. I would wait and see though, I would bet they are going to contact you and give you more information once they have dealt with everyone's acceptance paperwork and things of that nature.

Post by Guest »

For the 2011 cohort last year, health insurance reimbursment simply required a form and proof of coverage showing the cost and dates covered; the form is on the SMART website. SMART sent a letter to my school with the names of all the SMART scholars they would be paying tuition for that year. I would wait and see though, I would bet they are going to contact you and give you more information once they have dealt with everyone's acceptance paperwork and things of that nature.
The health insurance is no longer a reimbursement. It's an allowance. You are also no longer required to maintain health insurance.

This means you will get a lump payment of $1200 annually (I assume it will come with Augusts' disbursement) and you are free to a) bank it or 2) buy health insurance.

2012_UMD

Post by 2012_UMD »

Guest wrote:
The health insurance is no longer a reimbursement. It's an allowance. You are also no longer required to maintain health insurance.

This means you will get a lump payment of $1200 annually (I assume it will come with Augusts' disbursement) and you are free to a) bank it or 2) buy health insurance.

Ohhh I like this idea. My university subsidizes insurance for those that get outside funding, so this may end up being a nice bonus.

ToastyPenguin

Post by ToastyPenguin »

I only had to fill out the EWP for one year that I have remaining, so I got that done pretty quick since I already had it planned out. But as far as I know I have all the paper work done, just waiting for more info now! Hearing that the health insurance is a lump sum is a very good thing to hear though!

guestUF

Post by guestUF »

You will need to bring the Bursar Letter on your SMART page. It is a link to a PDF that is addressed to your schools financial office. I dropped mine of personally and had to sign some paperwork required by my university. This allows SMART to pay your tuition and fees, and also gives the SMART program the ability to pay past the normal deadlines for students. It is basically a letter of intent showing what they can bill SMART for and what they cannot (housing, food, kegs, etc.).

Hope this helps as I was not aware of it until I just went through everything on my log in page.

NM_retention

Post by NM_retention »

Quick question: How do you know if the SMART program office received your transcripts? I don't see a checkbox on award status page. I asked my school to send them a couple of weeks ago and it would be nice to have feedback that they were received.

DD2012

Post by DD2012 »

NM_retention wrote:Quick question: How do you know if the SMART program office received your transcripts? I don't see a checkbox on award status page. I asked my school to send them a couple of weeks ago and it would be nice to have feedback that they were received.
As far as I can tell you have no way of knowing unless you call or e-mail them to find out. That is what I am going to do later this week.

curious

Post by curious »

Definitely email. I emailed them a couple times with quite a few questions and they responded each time within 2 days. They seemed happy to help.

NM_retention

Post by NM_retention »

I emailed the program office and received this reply yesterday:

The SMART Program Office will soon be doing an audit of all award prerequisite materials, including the official transcript. If we have not received one of the elements of the award acceptance package from you, we will let you know at that time.

smart_hopeful

Post by smart_hopeful »

As a new guy I hesitate to step into this potential hornet's nest, but should we expect the first SMART paychecks to go out August 1? If so, good, but if not it would be nice to know so I can arrange my expenses accordingly.