USACE Hiring

General Discussion for SMART Scholarship Recipients
DScheuf

Re: USACE Hiring

Post by DScheuf »

My CA is suppose to let me know how SMART "recognizes" this situation* by today. She mentioned how she needs to confer with my liaison and bring this to the attention of the STEM Development Office. I graduate in two weeks! I hope they figure this out soon.

Have any of you started looking for other jobs?

*The situation is that the only way to hire me at my SF (and every other USACE Operations Facility to my knowing) is to sign a four year contract. This adds two years to my SMART contract.

Guest154

Post by Guest154 »

What degree are you graduating with, BS, MS, PhD?

DScheuf

Post by DScheuf »

Guest154 wrote:What degree are you graduating with, BS, MS, PhD?
BS

Post by Guest »

DScheuf wrote:My CA is suppose to let me know how SMART "recognizes" this situation* by today. She mentioned how she needs to confer with my liaison and bring this to the attention of the STEM Development Office. I graduate in two weeks! I hope they figure this out soon.

*The situation is that the only way to hire me at my SF (and every other USACE Operations Facility to my knowing) is to sign a four year contract. This adds two years to my SMART contract.
And what are the consequences of breaking the 4 year contract after the 2 year SMART requirement is over?

PennState

Post by PennState »

DScheuf wrote:My CA is suppose to let me know how SMART "recognizes" this situation* by today. She mentioned how she needs to confer with my liaison and bring this to the attention of the STEM Development Office. I graduate in two weeks! I hope they figure this out soon.

Yes.

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:

And what are the consequences of breaking the 4 year contract after the 2 year SMART requirement is over?
My uneducated guess: termination.

Which means you won't be working for the USACE anymore (duh, you quit, so the termination is a formality). Maybe the termination means you won't ever work for the federal govt again... Could be bad, depending on where you want your career to go.

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:

My uneducated guess: termination.

Which means you won't be working for the USACE anymore (duh, you quit, so the termination is a formality). Maybe the termination means you won't ever work for the federal govt again... Could be bad, depending on where you want your career to go.
I've been trying to figure out the answer to this for weeks now. If it's just not being able to work for the government again, then that's a pretty lame contract.

GGuest

Post by GGuest »

A lot of things could happen in the next forty (or sixty) years. It could be a pretty bad idea to rule out the entire public sector forever.

Post by Guest »

DScheuf, can you tell us what the penalty is for breaking the USACE contract?

DScheuf

Post by DScheuf »

Woohoo! They figured it out.

First off: JoAnn Wright has been replaced by Dana (not sure on last name; will try to find out) for coordinating SMART and USACE.

My mentor emailed me yesterday and stated that the two two-year contracts required by the ACTEDS program will run concurrently...meaning my two year commitment is only two years. :) All of this was confirmed by a phone call as well.

I told him that I have been applying for other jobs due to the volatility of this situation. He said he would have done the exact same thing. He even talked to lawyers for me.

Salary was once again brought up which, to no surprise, he said was non-negotiable. For anyone wondering, there is also no relocation package.

Post by Guest »

DScheuf wrote:First off: JoAnn Wright has been replaced by Dana (not sure on last name; will try to find out) for coordinating SMART and USACE.
Thank heavens. JoAnn Wright is very inept in her position. I've talked to plenty of SMART scholars who have felt she acts more like a drill sergeant than a person trying to recruit highly-qualified individuals into the DoD. She's more of a prison guard.

Also, while the concurrent running commitments are great news, you should also remember ACTEDs is not a permanent employment program. If this hiring freeze lasts longer than 2 years, you may find yourself in this battle for your job once again. That's a big IF, I know, but you should remember it when you make your decision.

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:DScheuf, can you tell us what the penalty is for breaking the USACE contract?
How hard is it to answer a simple question? Even an I don't know is fine. I've asked three times now. I'm not trying to be rude but come on!

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:DScheuf, can you tell us what the penalty is for breaking the USACE contract?
How hard is it to answer a simple question? Even an I don't know is fine. I've asked three times now. I'm not trying to be rude but come on!
By now you can assume that the answer is "I don't know."

If he knew, he would say. He's been very forthright with all of his other information.

DScheuf

Post by DScheuf »

Guest wrote:
This isn't a simple question. I can give you a simple answer: I do not know. Have you tried contact your SF's HR department? I wish I could be of more help. When I speak with my boss again, I will be sure to ask.

DScheuf

Post by DScheuf »

Guest wrote:
DScheuf wrote:First off: JoAnn Wright has been replaced by Dana (not sure on last name; will try to find out) for coordinating SMART and USACE.
Also, while the concurrent running commitments are great news, you should also remember ACTEDs is not a permanent employment program. If this hiring freeze lasts longer than 2 years, you may find yourself in this battle for your job once again. That's a big IF, I know, but you should remember it when you make your decision.
Thanks for the heads up.

DScheuf

Post by DScheuf »

Has anyone found out if the Corps provides a moving/relocation package?

Thanks.

PennState

Post by PennState »

USACE usually provides relocation assistance, sign-on bonus, and even a Student Loan repayment program to new hires. I was told that since SMART is basically the "ultimate" sign-on bonus, that new SMART hires would likely not be offered these incentives. Although the student loan repayment program is technically available to all employees, but a percentage is withdrawn from your pay.