Getting SF to help with Internship Funding

General Discussion for SMART Scholarship Recipients

Getting SF to help with Internship Funding

Post by Guest »

Hi,

Has anyone gotten their SF to help with internship funding? Would be very helpful to know.

RPI CSE

Re: Getting SF to help with Internship Funding

Post by RPI CSE »

Guest wrote:Hi,

Has anyone gotten their SF to help with internship funding? Would be very helpful to know.
Hi Guest,

I was informed by my facility that the are working on a way to fund their scholars. The current issues (may be different base to base) are that they may not have the funding and that as interns, we are contractors which makes it hard for them to pay us. I was told that my facility will not be able to help out this summer, but possibly next summer.

Again, this is all what is happening for my base, not sure about others. Contact your POC and ask them about it, mine was very helpful.

disappointed

Post by disappointed »

RPI, my case is similar. I'm a 2008 cohort member working on Ph.D., and this is my last internship period. My SF in Army appears to have some accounting things on their side that makes covering the gap in this FY with a student contract difficult.

Guest1

Post by Guest1 »

disappointed wrote:RPI, my case is similar. I'm a 2008 cohort member working on Ph.D., and this is my last internship period. My SF in Army appears to have some accounting things on their side that makes covering the gap in this FY with a student contract difficult.
This is a classic bureaucratic game. It can always happen, it just requires political capital and enough people to say "yes" for it to happen. Decisions that people don't want to say "yes" to will always be passed off as "legal says we can't". It's a way to say "no" without seeming like a jerk (at least to the non-initiated).

Having worked through many of these scenarios with my own SF, I will guarantee if someone with enough clout (general/SES/colonel/captain) contacted the base about getting it done, it would get done. It would likely be done in several weeks, as well.

Post by Guest »

Has anyone had any luck with this yet? I have not. I wonder how many DOD interns have had to sleep in their car?