Internship Support Payments

General Discussion for SMART Scholarship Recipients

Re: Internship Support Payments

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
SMARTFacebook wrote:We've got to figure out a way to get a hold of people and exchange contact info. Obviously, most people won't want to post info on here because emp loyees from the SPO certainly read this.

Maybe a Facebook group, and everyone can direct message the "admin of the group." From here an email chain can be formed....

Someone should start a facebook group then. It doesn't have to be obvious why the group is being formed, but at least we'll be together in one place.
I'm about to make a facebook group. FIrst I'm going to look on facebook to make sure no one beat me to it. I will post the details promptly.

Post by Guest »

https://www.facebook.com/SmartScholarsStandTogether

DONE! Okay...now what? Do people join? Do they just message the community? How does this work?

Guest345

Post by Guest345 »

If a petition is still on the table, what about using one of those online petition makers like Change.org or even Causes which hooks right into Facebook?

Also, pay attention that the site owner can easily grab your IP address and use that to identify site visitors whether or not they comment.

xkcd13

Post by xkcd13 »

Guest wrote:May the administrator of this board could allow us registered users to *opt in for email sharing.
You could create a thread where people can just post their emails.

Post by Guest »

xkcd13 wrote:
Guest wrote:May the administrator of this board could allow us registered users to *opt in for email sharing.
The FB page is up and running. Go like it and then lets move this discussion there. If someone wants to share a petition link on there then we can all sign it. No one can see a list of all people who like the page except the admin who is me, if youre worried about privacy. Get the word out!

Guest1

Post by Guest1 »

Guest wrote:
xkcd13 wrote:
The FB page is up and running. Go like it and then lets move this discussion there. If someone wants to share a petition link on there then we can all sign it. No one can see a list of all people who like the page except the admin who is me, if youre worried about privacy. Get the word out!

*like*

Post by Guest »

We are paid a stipend during our internship so technically we are paid.
Actually, if you apply for and receive a waiver for the internship over the summer, I believe you continue to receive the regular monthly payment but no internship support payments. Not sure if that legally decouples the monthly stipend from the internship though.

Post by Guest »

Share the FB page with all your friends. Go there and like it. Post ideas. Message the admin. Share the link. Get your parents to like it. Tell your professors and advisers. If we get enough people aware, we can make a difference. Start by liking the page and sharing it.

Post by Guest »

You know something else that bothers me about the email they sent?

"Over the course of these few years this additional funding source has grown from providing reimbursement for specific costs to providing an additional $14,400 (roughly) per participant, per internship, above and beyond the generous monthly stipend payment participants receive. No other DoD scholarship program offers either the stipend amount that the SMART program does, nor additional financial support on top of the stipend."

1. How can it possibly be $14,400 per participant when a) that's the most anyone was allowed to make at $1200/wk for 12 weeks and some students would have had 8 or 10 week internships, b) 1 year participants don't get this at all, c) that means not a single participant lives within 50 miles of their SF, and d) retention participants don't get this at all... LIARS! Way to make up bull-crap numbers to justify cheating.

2. No other DoD scholarship program requires internships either. Why would they offer travel support if they don't require anyone to go anywhere. This is a moronic statement.

I get madder every day about this.

panacea66

Post by panacea66 »

I THINK WE JUST GOT OUR MONEY BACK!!!!!!

Post by Guest »

I think so too!!!!!!!

empty

Post by empty »

Wow. What I wouldn't have given to be a fly on the wall through this whole process.

I am so happy right now.

Guest5

Post by Guest5 »

We did it!!!!!!!

tdavis4

Post by tdavis4 »

Does this mean they are limiting outside scholarships again. I've spends dozens of hours apply.

Post by Guest »

WoooHOOO!!!

Post by Guest »

tdavis4 wrote:Does this mean they are limiting outside scholarships again. I've spends dozens of hours apply.
I bet they would be more than happy to send you less.money and allow you to get other money elsewhere...talk to your ca

Guest2

Post by Guest2 »

My lawyer sent them a letter this week...I have no clue what it said but it looks like it worked!

Villain

Post by Villain »

"Dear SMART Recruitment Participant,

On or about March 20, 2012, you received a correspondence from the SMART Program Office reducing the Internship Support Payment (ISP).

That correspondence is hereby rescinded.  The SMART program will continue making ISP payments to current SMART recruitment students at the previously agreed upon level.

The SMART Program Office"

Wow, I can't even believe this is happening right now. I know many of us were frustrated with the turn of events, but I do think this is a perfect example of waiting and trying to let things work itself out. One thing I highly recommend is that anyone who posted questionable comments go back and delete them. I realize you were frustrated, but not everyone in a government organization is bad, and not everyone is out to get you. I'm sure that the SPO worked very hard to come up with an amicable solution and fought for us as best they could. We should certainly take the time to thank our CAs and SMART as a whole. Congratulations everyone, I'm certainly grateful.

Billiam

Post by Billiam »

P.S. I meant to type the username for the above post as Billiam. No one should read anything into that name. Blame that on an iPhone autocorrect error.

Post by Guest »

Villain wrote:"Dear SMART Recruitment Participant,

On or about March 20, 2012, you received a correspondence from the SMART Program Office reducing the Internship Support Payment (ISP).

That correspondence is hereby rescinded.  The SMART program will continue making ISP payments to current SMART recruitment students at the previously agreed upon level.

Wow, I can't even believe this is happening right now. I know many of us were frustrated with the turn of events, but I do think this is a perfect example of waiting and trying to let things work itself out. One thing I highly recommend is that anyone who posted questionable comments go back and delete them. I realize you were frustrated, but not everyone in a government organization is bad, and not everyone is out to get you. I'm sure that the SPO worked very hard to come up with an amicable solution and fought for us as best they could. We should certainly take the time to thank our CAs and SMART as a whole. Congratulations everyone, I'm certainly grateful.
I highly doubt this came from waiting and letting things work themselves out. This came from this forum, which I shared with my CA, letters from lawyers, threats of lawyer involvement, complaints from participants to the CAs, complaints from the participants to the SFs, complaints from the SFs to the CAs, complaints to senators, congressmen, DoD, and the white house....hardly inaction. This is a great example of what happens when people do something about someone steamrolling them. Congratulations to all of you.

Also, I've read every post on this forum about this issue and there are no questionable comments.

Guest2

Post by Guest2 »

Guest wrote:
Villain wrote:"Dear SMART Recruitment Participant,

I highly doubt this came from waiting and letting things work themselves out. This came from this forum, which I shared with my CA, letters from lawyers, threats of lawyer involvement, complaints from participants to the CAs, complaints from the participants to the SFs, complaints from the SFs to the CAs, complaints to senators, congressmen, DoD, and the white house....hardly inaction. This is a great example of what happens when people do something about someone steamrolling them. Congratulations to all of you.

Also, I've read every post on this forum about this issue and there are no questionable comments.
Quoted for truth.

WaitingIsFun

Post by WaitingIsFun »

Congrats current SMART scholars. Now that still leaves the door open to future scholars not getting the IPS but it is a big step in the right direction.

Post by Guest »

I'm completely and utterly happy, yet still shocked this has happened. Anyone else?

Guest2

Post by Guest2 »

Guest wrote:I'm completely and utterly happy, yet still shocked this has happened. Anyone else?
I'm not too concerned. Prior to this, I thought they wouldn't want to reduce our funding. During this, I thought they could and wanted to reduce our funding. Now, I don't care what they want to do because I am certain they CAN'T reduce our funding. They wouldn't have backed off without a lot of pressure. It shows our contracts actually do mean something which is comforting.

jramcam

Post by jramcam »

I am not necessarily shocked, I think a lot of people was upset and actually did something about it. I am sure that there was a significant number of people that started putting this story out there either through social media or contacting their representatives and/or lawyers and that created a lot of pressure. The SMART program was shooting itself in the foot and the decision makers realized that this change in policy would have done more damage than good so they retracted.