Does getting a 'W' (dropping a class after the deadline) or failing a course put you at risk for non-compliance?

General Discussion for SMART Scholarship Recipients
jimmy sherp

Does getting a 'W' (dropping a class after the deadline) or failing a course put you at risk for non-compliance?

Post by jimmy sherp »

I signed up for a course that might be a little too tough, so I'm contemplating dropping it before the withdrawl deadline. From what I gather, if I fail the class my scholarship is basically at risk of just being rescinded, right? My units would drop from 15 to 12 if I dropped now, but I'd still be full-time. I think I may be able to pass it but I'm not really certain and fear what would happen if things were to go wrong. Anyone have personal experience? What exactly would happen?

Vandal

Re: Does getting a 'W' (dropping a class after the deadline) or failing a course put you at risk for non-compliance?

Post by Vandal »

From past experience with a similar situation I wouldn't worry about it too much. So long as it is not a class that absolutely has to be done that semester, IE its a prereq for later classes that cant be shifted around without delaying your graduation date, you should be fine.

I had a similar situation with a class that due to a specific professor I refused to take the class, both due to difficulty but mostly due to the professors attitude towards their students. Regardless, so long as nothing changes about your final graduation date, you're still considered full time, and you're able to make up the needed credits later you should be fine.

It certainly wouldn't hurt to send a message to your coordinator requesting prior approval for withdrawing from the class but so long as you describe it appropriately, IE: "My understanding of this course material is being severely hindered and I have a plan to not only improve my understanding of this course, via instruction through a different professor, but to also allow me to better focus and comprehend my other courses this semester. Therefor I am requesting approval to withdraw from X class and retake it during Y semester. This will not change my graduation date and should only serve to improve my understanding of the material. I have attached an amended course plan that lays out my potential future course schedule granted approval is provided." etc etc you should be fine. Best of luck!