Joining a Military Reserve Unit it Phase 2

General Discussion for SMART Scholarship Recipients
CuriousDude

Joining a Military Reserve Unit it Phase 2

Post by CuriousDude »

Hey everyone,

I am curious to know if anyone here has joined a military reserve unit or knows anyone who joined a military reserve unit during Phase 2 of the SMART program. Over the past few months, I have been seriously considering applying to Navy Officer Candidate School (OCS) and joining the Navy Reserves, but I am only about 6 months in to my 3.5 year service commitment.

After reading over the 2022 handbook, the only information I found is that SMART requires the scholar to report any non-pay status at your SF to the SMART Program. My interpretation of this is that as long as my SF is on board with me going to OCS and I tell SMART about it, they can't say no, as long as I eventually complete my 3.5 year commitment once I return from training. Is this assumption correct?

I cannot find any literature about this, other than a very old post on this forum from 2012 that has only 1 comment and no pertinent information. Does anyone have any thoughts/insights/experiences with this situation? Any help is appreciated. Thank you!

poorphd

Re: Joining a Military Reserve Unit it Phase 2

Post by poorphd »

Hi there,

I am in the Coast Guard Reserves, I did not join during Phase 2, but was already in when I applied to the DOD Smart. In all honesty, I think being part of the Reserves actually made my application stand out as it shows you like applying yourself to larger missions and support the US.

Anyway, you should be fine to join during Phase 2. Tons of folks who work for the DOD are also in the Reserves. Additionally, you are legally protected through the USERRA Act. This means that you can't be negatively penalized in any sort of way for leaving your post to complete reserve training. So if your boss gives you any sort of push back, skips over you for promotion, or retaliates in any way, you can call up the USERRA reps and they will fight for you.

Best of luck!

(P.s Check out the CG Reserve Officer Candidate Indoctrination (ROCI) program too)

CuriousDude

Re: Joining a Military Reserve Unit it Phase 2

Post by CuriousDude »

Thanks for that insight, @poorphd! I knew there was some law protecting those already in the reserves, but I couldn't remember the name. That also really helps. I appreciate it! The more I think about joining, the more I want to.

Is there anyone who joined during Phase 2?