Salaries and Incentives (Relocation + Recruitment)

General Discussion for SMART Scholarship Recipients
thunderous_alfalfa

Salaries and Incentives (Relocation + Recruitment)

Post by thunderous_alfalfa »

Hey all! A couple of questions about compensation. Hoping for some hard data from program alumni.

1) I’m an ECE master’s student and will be starting my one-year service commitment next summer on the AcqDemo (NH) pay scale. I was promised band 3 (pretty sure I’m on the “technical management professional” scale) — anybody have insight as to what step they’ll start me at? It ranges from 68k to 100k+ so I’m naturally pretty curious ha.

2) I’ve heard mention of recruitment bonuses (“signing bonuses”) and relocation bonuses from a variety of sources. Does anybody have experience with either? If so, would you mind sharing (as specifically or generally as you’d like) some numbers, and maybe your education level and area of study as well?

Thanks for the advice/insight!!!

malarious

Re: Salaries and Incentives (Relocation + Recruitment)

Post by malarious »

1) The exact offer depends on your work experience and prior history. I was told to expect GS-9 equivalent for having a 3.0 (with bachelors), but the offer was GS-10, because the Demo scales tend to have higher base, they don't match the GS-9 directive potentially. For reference in a ~27% locality bonus area I was offered 65,000 for the first 6 months. Raised to GS-11 equiv (72,000) after 6 months, and 12 months after that promoted into band 3, which was 87,000. Band 3 is specifically GS 12-13 for us, so you should get at least the equivalent there. They will ask for your resume for the official position and consider your work experience for exact offer.

2) I was not offered recruitment or retention and when I brought it up, they said it was not being offered. They know you cannot really say no without incurring a large debt, but at least at my facility they also gave an accelerated promotion and raise schedule up front. You might be able to get relocation if you are very far away though, I was within 20 miles of my facility. I am only a bachelors though, so there is always a possibility.

I am not sure how standard the accelerated timetable is though. On these very forums I noted the "18 months to GS-12" and someone said that was not happening. Yet, that is exactly what happened! When I asked the SMART contact at the SF about offers she said "We could pay you the minimum and watch you leave when the time was up, or we could aim for you to retire with us, we choose the latter." Hopefully all the SFs have this same outlook, as that is hopefully part of the programs goal. I had 2.5 years for my commitment and at that point if I stay to 3 years PTO rises from 13 days a year to 20 and I become fully vested in pension/TSP. I also am on track to replace my supervisor and have a lot of really nice little benefits I am not sure I would get elsewhere. Yes, I might make more money, but the benefits here are honestly second to none. Some of them are very underrated.

smart48

Post by smart48 »

That’s awesome! Would you mind sharing your major and geographical area of your SF?

malarious

Post by malarious »

I am in Michigan, assigned in Warren.

I have a bachelor's of Electrical Engineering. I am currently pursuing a master's, but my facility is paying for that, not SMART.

Mrbidenn

Post by Mrbidenn »

I got a PhD with smart and now work for the afrl. I was told when I first signed on to the smart scholarship by my smart sf that I'd 'probably' get reimbursed for my relocation expenses. Years later, when I graduated, that didn't happen. I was also told that they wouldn't give me any other signing perks b.c. those are for applicants who have more than one offer. I also know I was brought in at about 8% less than people of the same experience at the same place--b.c. after all they already have you.

These experiences were annoying but I think I still won out with SMART so far. If my raises don't bring me up to par with others in a few years I will probably leave.