Switch SF without consent

General Discussion for SMART Scholarship Recipients
Myname

Switch SF without consent

Post by Myname »

I read in another post where someone claimed that SMART won't make you pay the money back if you switch to another DoD job. Can anyone second this claim? Also, does it matter if your current SF doesn't want to let you go? I'd be leaving my SF without them wanting to lose me.

I'd be leaving for the following reasons: brought in at relatively low pay, offered no perks like school loan help, location is not ideal, etc.

Also, is there a list of DoD facilities that count?

Any thoughts or help is much appreciated. Thanks.

malarious

Re: Switch SF without consent

Post by malarious »

Your SF funded the program. You need their approval to leave as your contract was with them. Now whether that is flexible for other DoD.... unclear

Myname

Post by Myname »

"Your SF funded the program" I thought that was only true for SMART retention scholars? I am pretty sure my SF didn't fund me as a recruitment scholar.

malarious

Post by malarious »

My current supervisor explains that is what is happening when you start getting calls. Teams have to commit to the funding for the scholar they want, which is also why you are selected by a facility, not just "DoD said yes". I imagine you could leave, but I am not sure if the handshake between HR goes well if one side refuses.