when does Tuition Payment Kick in? Outside Funding

General Discussion for SMART Scholarship Recipients
superskbman

when does Tuition Payment Kick in? Outside Funding

Post by superskbman »

I was just wondering when ASEE pays the Tuition Payment to the school. My Tuition is due August 8th, so should I let them know payment is coming? Also I plan on filling the 'Outside Funding request' form for the additional $5000, but the only scholarships I have are from Merit Based Scholarships I was awarded from the College I attend. Is there a way I should go about having them hold that $5000 and will the college be okay with paying me out that $5000? Anyone have any experience with this, thanks.
Read my Blog at www.FamVestor.com

Learn about creating Passive Income, Being Frugal, Living Optimalisticaly, and designing a wholesome lifestyle all for the purpose of Investing in your Family.

Re: when does Tuition Payment Kick in? Outside Funding

Post by Guest »

I don't think that any of the $5000 is allowed to go into our pockets. It would need to go to a meal plan or room and board.... as far as I know.

Chris Moulder

Post by Chris Moulder »

For the 2009 cohort year, the $5k was described as something that was yours and could be used however you wanted. The handbook should have a clear description.

ASEE was very late in paying my tuition; however, they somehow notified my school that they were going to pay it. I asked the bursar about it and they said that since a federal(ish) entity was paying, they didn't really care.

Post by Guest »

at orientation it sounded like you could use the 5k for whatever you wanted and it could go to your pockets. i was wondering if anyone in the past has had any luck getting their schools to credit them for merit based school scholarships and having a check written to you for that amount

empty

Post by empty »

I'm a grad student so maybe my situation is different, but I'm getting a $5,000 payout directly from my school for a merit based scholarship. I filed the paperwork with SMART and as long as you have official documentation as to where the funds are coming from (in my case, my department) and where they are going (to you) the SMART program can decided if they can be approved. Schools are used to paying out excess funds to students, when I was at UNC we'd get Stafford loans paid out in check format all the time.

Also, ASEE already paid my tuition apparently... so they seem to be on top of it pretty good.

Post by Guest »

For my school, it worked like this:

Had a scholarship of 15k
Called the school and had it reduced to 5k. Also submitted outside funding form to SMART
School credited my account for 5k
SMART/ASEE paid the entire tuition
My account was then 5k positive
School cashed out the extra balance to the primary account holder (me)-->e.g. I made 5k

Post by Guest »

Hi!
I called my Business Office on Tuesday, and they told me my tuition has already been paid. I was surprised because I wasn't expecting them to pay it until after the last day of July-- which is the last date for us to "pull out". I asked who paid and they told me SMART. Nothing has shown up on my financial aid package, so maybe you should call your business office as well.
Payment for us should start September 19th.

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:Hi!
Payment for us should start September 19th.
Wooops-- August 19th.

Post by Guest »

Did you submit the University Data Sheet, which is one of the forms on the SMART website? I don't remeber any mention of it at the orientation, but I am wondering if SMART needs that form in order to initiate the tuition payments.

Post by Guest »

To answer my own question, I spoke with my CA, and we don't have to submit the university data sheet for tuition payments to kick in. SMART handles everything with our univeristies automatically.

fish

Post by fish »

has anybody gotten their book money yet? $500 is supposed to be deposited in the designated account in August

xkcd13

Post by xkcd13 »

I believe they said that the money would be deposited the 3rd week of the month.

Post by Guest »

fish wrote:has anybody gotten their book money yet? $500 is supposed to be deposited in the designated account in August
Yeah, we get paid on the third Friday of the month and the $500 for books is rolled in with your monthly stipend.