Clearance

General Discussion for SMART Scholarship Recipients
qwerty

Clearance

Post by qwerty »

Has anyone recieved an interim clearance yet or know that any of their references has been contacted?

empty

Re: Clearance

Post by empty »

Most of my references/people I've lived with have received paperwork in the mail requesting information.

qwerty

Post by qwerty »

empty wrote:Most of my references/people I've lived with have received paperwork in the mail requesting information.
Were you in round 1 or 2?

empty

Post by empty »

I was a round 2 selection.

ITguy

Post by ITguy »

I haven't heard of any action, nor have I filled out applications for clearence yet... I hope I didn't get left out LOL

Kaelinth

Post by Kaelinth »

Yeah, I haven't heard anything about clearance yet either. It's probably SF dependent?

Uhoh

Post by Uhoh »

When did they tell us to fill out the paperwork?

I thought they were going to do something with us for it... should I do it now?

empty

Post by empty »

Recieved the e-mails with:

Following are the directions to submit your security investigation paperwork through the Electronic Questionnaires for Investigations Processing program (e-Qip), an internet enabled security process. Once logged into the e-Qip system you will enter all pertinent information and submit the investigation electronically. You will need to have all the proper paperwork postmarked and sent to the SMART office no later than 17 JUNE 2011.

On June 2nd.

I don't know, maybe SF dependent, though since the SPO is the one running all of them (not the SF), that would seem peculiar.

Ed

Post by Ed »

Kaelinth wrote:Yeah, I haven't heard anything about clearance yet either. It's probably SF dependent?
I haven't heard anything either.

jramcam

Post by jramcam »

I just hope it is either Major Specific or Sponsoring Facility Specific because I have not gotten any e-mails about security clearance. All e-mails I have received lately are related to Orientation.

Post by Guest »

jramcam wrote:I just hope it is either Major Specific or Sponsoring Facility Specific because I have not gotten any e-mails about security clearance. All e-mails I have received lately are related to Orientation.
It is one of the SPO's requirements. Therefore, everyone should received and completed their security clearance paperwork by now. You guys should email them and ask.

qwerty

Post by qwerty »

Just to clarify; I too recieved the email on 2 June. I submitted all the required paperwork about three weeks ago. I just haven't heard anything yet. For my equivalent (as far as I can tell) military/contractor clearance, I recived an email that I was granted an interim clearance within 72 hrs of submitting the paperwork; and an email about the clearance being granted about 60 days from that.

Kaelinth

Post by Kaelinth »

I emailed the SPO and was given the following response:

Please contact the Security Office at smartsecurity@nps.edu for information regarding clearances.

As I mentioned earlier, hopefully it is SF specific and that those of us who haven't heard anything only have to worry about it next week at Orientation.

jramcam

Post by jramcam »

For those of you that have received the e-mail about security clearance, please share your major, sponsoring facility and whether you are a retention or recruitment candidate. I am going for a MS in Civil Engineering and my sponsoring facility is the Army Corps of Engineers, Tulsa District, I wouldn't think I need a security clearance for my line of work, but it may be a requirement for all scholars. I am just trying to figure out why some of us have not received that e-mail.

Kaelinth, have you contacted the Security Office? Let us know if you got a response from them.

Thanks!

Kaelinth

Post by Kaelinth »

Jramcam- I have contacted them, and am currently waiting to hear back. Will let you know once I know anything.

For reference, I am going for my PhD in Pathology, sponsoring facility is CHPPM at Aberdeen Proving Grounds, Aberdeen, MD.

rjbritt

Post by rjbritt »

Hey, I too got the email. I'm a computer science major at warner robins afb SF. I hope everything is ok for those who didn't receive it.

Kaelinth

Post by Kaelinth »

I ended up calling the SPO and the security officer has already left for D.C. Hopefully he will still reply to my email when he gets to D.C. I spoke with Janna and she stated that it should not be a problem for those of us who haven't received anything, as we meet with the security team during orientation anyway, and we just need to be sure that they know we haven't received any paperwork yet.

If I get an email response, I will post that as well.

empty

Post by empty »

Haha, well at least we know it isn't SF dependent. I'm Aberdeen Proving Grounds as well (ARL, though), and I got the e-mail. I'm a Neuroscience PhD.

Kaelinth

Post by Kaelinth »

empty wrote:Haha, well at least we know it isn't SF dependent. I'm Aberdeen Proving Grounds as well (ARL, though), and I got the e-mail. I'm a Neuroscience PhD.
Yeah, not sure that makes me feel any better...

empty

Post by empty »

Eh. One hopes they wouldn't punish you if they are at fault.

The e-mail I received actually looked like some sort of forwarded e-mail, not exactly professional. It wouldn't surprise me if something was lost in translation, though I doubt you're the only person in that boat.

Maybe they just sent it out early to those of us who looked suspicious...

Kaelinth

Post by Kaelinth »

empty wrote:Eh. One hopes they wouldn't punish you if they are at fault.

The e-mail I received actually looked like some sort of forwarded e-mail, not exactly professional. It wouldn't surprise me if something was lost in translation, though I doubt you're the only person in that boat.

Maybe they just sent it out early to those of us who looked suspicious...

The impression I got when I called the SPO is that it wouldn't be a big deal, and based on this board, I'm definitely not the only one. It's still causes one to worry, though.

jramcam

Post by jramcam »

Thanks for the info Kaelinth, let us know if you do get in contact with the Security Officer. I don't think you should sweat this much, I am positive that any issues can be worked out during orientation. Last night I received an e-mail about the interviews with the assigned Cohort Administrator, so I know that there are no issues with my e-mail, it has to be something else, maybe it is because I am already a federal employee, who knows?

Kaelinth

Post by Kaelinth »

Nah, employer doesn't matter, I'm a grad student, so, something just got missed, I'm guessing. I also got my CA interview time, so, that's good.

Kaelinth

Post by Kaelinth »

Hey guys, don't know if anyone else received this, but I did receive the email with instructions for gaining security clearance today. Not sure if it's because I emailed the SMART security office, or if there were just two rounds of mailings that went out, perhaps by last name (I'm in the "T's").

jramcam

Post by jramcam »

That leaves me as the only one that did not receive any e-mails about security clearance. Oh well, I'll clear that with the CA tomorrow.