GPA Confusion for Award

General Discussion for SMART Scholarship Recipients

GPA Confusion for Award

Post by Guest »

Hey, I got a scholarship in the first round, and I was wondering if someone can help answer my question.

So, I attended a school my freshman year and then transferred to the school I am currently at (I am about to finish my sophomore year now). My GPA was at my first school was great, but my GPA at my current school is much worse because the school is a lot harder (and more competitive among students). It says in the handbook that a participant's GPA must be above a 3.0/4.0 for the degree funded by SMART by August 1st of this summer (because they haven't seen anyones grades for this past year). So does this only count the GPA at my current school (not good), or the cumulative GPA (like what was used when applying for the scholarship)?

Sorry it is kind of confusing, I'm just really worried.

Re: GPA Confusion for Award

Post by guest »

More than likely they will base the decision on your cumulative GPA.

dafix

Post by dafix »

After reading my award letter it seems like your cumulative GPA must be above a 3.0 between application submission and start of program. After that, it must be 3.0 per semester & cumulative.

Post by guest »

You have to love comments like "like I used when I applied", It really does make you wonder if it pays to be truthfull on the app or not. Seems to me it is btter to just tell them you need less time and you are better than you are and let them figure it out later and make adjustments.

Post by Guest »

To me, it seems like it depends on how your new school handles the situation. When you transferred, did your grades transfer in as well? A lot of times, your credit transfers, but it doesn't impact your overall, cumulative GPA at the new school.

I doubt that the SPO will do the math from two different schools to figure out your GPA, but will only want the one transcript from your new school. So it really depends on if your "new" school adds in your "old" school's grades when doing the calculation.

guest wrote:You have to love comments like "like I used when I applied", It really does make you wonder if it pays to be truthfull on the app or not. Seems to me it is btter to just tell them you need less time and you are better than you are and let them figure it out later and make adjustments.
This is totally irrelevant to this thread, the OP never lied or misled anyone on the application.

Post by Guest »

I was a transfer student when I applied and they averaged the two gpa together as if they were all the same college. They also requested transcripts from both places, So I would assume you need a 3.0 together

Post by Guest »

How do you know they lied. He obviously knows he is not at a 3.0 and I would assume if he is going inot engineering or science he should be smart enough to calculate his GPA. He saw a mistake and used it. Now he is worried about losing the scholarship. It is the same thing as saying you need one or two years then after recieveing the scholarship asking for another. They state everywhere that you have to intern over the summer and cannot go to school. Applicants put extra years just for this and could have been passed over because of it.

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:I was a transfer student when I applied and they averaged the two gpa together as if they were all the same college. They also requested transcripts from both places, So I would assume you need a 3.0 together
So the SPO actually took the 2 transcripts and calculated a cumulative GPA for you?

Guest wrote:How do you know they lied. He obviously knows he is not at a 3.0 and I would assume if he is going inot engineering or science he should be smart enough to calculate his GPA. He saw a mistake and used it. Now he is worried about losing the scholarship. It is the same thing as saying you need one or two years then after recieveing the scholarship asking for another. They state everywhere that you have to intern over the summer and cannot go to school. Applicants put extra years just for this and could have been passed over because of it.
Wow. What? Quite the hodgepodge of thoughts, here. It seems like the OP does have a 3.0, but it depends on how it is calculated.

SMARTDPM

Post by SMARTDPM »

You must have a 3.0 GPA at the university you are pursuing the SMART funded degree. Unless your school uses transfer credits in the calculation of your GPA (few do), and your cumulative GPA at your "new" university is less than a 3.0, the award will be rescinded.

By the way, gaming the system with grad dates can get you dumped just as fast. Your SF may need the body at a certain time...and that is why they picked you. If you change your basic characteristics...you may be out as well.

Sorry to be the angel of death...

Post by Guest »

Do you think they will let us know before orientation if we are still eligible for the award?

Post by Guest »

can you take an early summer class, or an online class at your college to boost your gpa? SF would have to approve the summer class, but an early session class would allow you to work also.