2011 Scholars

General Discussion for SMART Scholarship Recipients
xkcd13

2011 Scholars

Post by xkcd13 »

Whooo! we made it guys!

How would everyone feel about make a facebook group for us. If there are positive responses i'll go ahead and make one.

I've finally calmed down enough to compose a comprehensible post. And the only questions I have thus far is: are we "appointees" or "applicants" for the purposes of some the forms we have to fill out.
Last edited by xkcd13 on Sat Apr 02, 2011 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: 2011 Scholars

Post by Guest »

I was unfortunately a person that was just turned down as a Finalist but told that there would be up to 70 more rewards given out this month. Any idea on the rate at which this is done (the number they typically give out after the initial batch)? I was really looking forward to this... :(

calmlyAnxious

Post by calmlyAnxious »

Guest wrote:I was unfortunately a person that was just turned down as a Finalist but told that there would be up to 70 more rewards given out this month. Any idea on the rate at which this is done (the number they typically give out after the initial batch)? I was really looking forward to this... :(

Last year their was not an additional round, it is new to me at least.

I'm sure there's nothing wrong with making a facebook page, just be careful of how it is named. Remember we now are concerned with infosec.

RPI CSE

Post by RPI CSE »

That brings up a good point, what are the rules and requirements for us spreading the good news?

I am talking more on a social media level. Can we post that we are recipients of the SMART Scholarship on Facebook? Can we blog about it? I am just looking for general guidelines as I have not seen anything in the stuff they sent.

If there are no problems in that regard to a Facebook group I think it would be awesome to have one!

Congratulations to all of us who made it!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by Guest »

xkcd13 wrote:Whooo! we made it guys!

How would everyone feel about make a facebook group for us. If there are positive responses i'll go ahead and make one.

I've finally calmed down enough to compose a comprehensible post. And the only questions I have thus far is: are we "appointees" or "applicants" for the purposes of some the forms we have to fill out.
I think we are applicants (but I haven't actually asked SMART, so I am not 100% sure). Also, is it just me or can we not fill out the Participant profile?

By the way, congrats on getting the scholarship!

jramcam

Post by jramcam »

I vote for checking with ASEE first before creating a Facebook page, in the meantime we can use this forum as a point of contact between all selected candidates that want to participate. I started filling out all the forms today and I have many questions I am forwarding to ASEE and my SF POC, once I get answers I will post them here.

Again, congratulations to all scholars!

xkcd13

Post by xkcd13 »

Guest wrote: Also, is it just me or can we not fill out the Participant profile?
I was also confused by this. Are we supposed to be able to type in all of those text fields? Because I cannot.

And about a facebook group: I hadn't even thought about it being a security issue I suppose there is no reason to risk it.

pennstate

Post by pennstate »

Every other cohort group has a facebook page, and you can moderate an informal page to disseminate information. Keep in mind that anyone including your future co-workers and supervisors can monitor the page. You are not officially in the program until you sign the paperwork in person at the orientation.

Post by Guest »

I am confused about the due dates of the forms. I accepted my award on the website, but do my forms have to be in by
April 14th also? Thats what it sounds like in my acceptance letter, but when I was reading through the handbook I got conflicting information.

Post by Guest »

From what I have been reading, the orientation is in D.C. this year, right? I think last year it was in Monterey, CA, but I wanted to verify that it changed this year.

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:From what I have been reading, the orientation is in D.C. this year, right? I think last year it was in Monterey, CA, but I wanted to verify that it changed this year.
Yes, DC it is.

Post by Guest »

Been thinking about asking for an additional semester of funding....Is this the kiss of death or no big deal? Anybody got any insight?

If you ask for it and they turn you down, do they drop you from the program, or just say get it done in the original time requested?

I can do it with the time I asked for, but it's pushing it a little bit.

Post by Guest »

To above, the following is good information:

1. Call your POC. Mine was pretty upset that I straight up went to SMART. They like to keep it inside and get it approved through back-channels before formally requesting it.

2. When SMART returned my email, they said your award isn't rescinded. They just deny/accept the new one. So you lose nothing.

jramcam

Post by jramcam »

Between the e-mail update that the SPO sent and Guest's post above I think most questions have been answered. I just need to add that you should sign under APPLICANT on the Declaration of Federal Employment (Form 306) not under APPOINTEE.

wateq

Post by wateq »

Has anyone gotten follow up information after submitting signed paperwork? I feel like the phone line went silent....

Post by Guest »

If you mean does it say on my award profile that all my paperwork was received, then yes. Otherwise, I have not heard anything else.

jramcam

Post by jramcam »

Same here, I am assuming that they will contact us again sometime around late June or early July to give us more information about Orientation.

Post by Guest »

Yeah, same here. All of my documents have been marked received, but I haven't gotten an email or phone call about anything else.

Post by guest »

Same. I love this forum - I just opened this page because I had the same concern about not hearing anything, and you guys had already discussed it! Thanks!

Post by Guest »

I had the same question, and I emailed them just to make sure. I got the following response:

We do not send email confirmations stating that your documents are
received as participants are able to check their award status online. If
all of your materials have been received, you do not need to do anything
further at this time.

Thank you,

The ASEE SMART Program Team

Post by Guest »

Hey, just curious, but did anyone make a facebook group / ask about making a facebook group for this years awardees?

Post by Guest »

Has anyone heard anything yet?

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:Has anyone heard anything yet?
I received the paperwork for security clearance.

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
When?

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:
Guest wrote:
When?
This past Monday.