Stipend Clarification

General Discussion for SMART Scholarship Recipients
Jenngcarr

Stipend Clarification

Post by Jenngcarr »

For the summer internship, is the stipend $1000 per week plus support if you live outside the standard distance, or is the $1000 per week the living support payment?

guest33

Re: Stipend Clarification

Post by guest33 »

Jenngcarr wrote:For the summer internship, is the stipend $1000 per week plus support if you live outside the standard distance, or is the $1000 per week the living support payment?
You get your regular monthly payment, and if you live outside the like 50 miles or whatever is $1000/week up to 12 weeks.

Vandal

Post by Vandal »

You have your normal monthly support rate and in ADDITION you can have the $1,000 a week if your "summer residence" is outside of the 50 mile radius from your SF.
NOTE:
1) You can only get up to 12 weeks of the extra $1,000 a week, anything passed 12 weeks you don't get anything extra.
2) If you work for less than what you originally planned you do have to pay back whatever the difference is between what you actually worked and any extra SMART may have given you.
3) The $1,000 a week (at least in my case) is NOT actually paid out on a weekly basis. In my case I had a 10 week internship at my SF so SMART paid it out in 3 $3,333.33 increments for the last 3 months totaling the $10,000 for the 10 weeks.
4) I would make sure to get in touch with SMART to clarify that you will be receiving the additional support rate before you make any plans, like if you have to be renting or etc, as they didn't contact me at all or start to pay the extra amount until after I kind of hounded them for a couple weeks prior to my internship.

Jenngcarr

Post by Jenngcarr »

Thank you for the information this was very helpful!
One more quick question....when in August does the initial stipend funding begin?