IRS Tax Notice

General Discussion for SMART Scholarship Recipients

IRS Tax Notice

Postby Scholar2016 » Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:35 pm

I recently received a letter from the IRS claiming that I may have made a mistake on my taxes. Long story short: I recieved a 1099 MISC with the stipend in box 7. I reported this income on line 21 of my 2017 1040 and wrote "SCH". The letter from the IRS stated that I should have listed the funds as SE income. The following link highlights a similar situation that was resolved and includes the letter written to the IRS to justify that the scholarship was not self employment. I will update this thread to let you guys know if I have luck with my situation

.http://evolvingpf.com/2015/03/winning-fight-irs/
Scholar2016

Return to Recipients