GPA below 3.0

General Discussion for SMART Scholarship Recipients
dumb-ass

GPA below 3.0

Post by dumb-ass »

Experience with probation because of a cumulative GPA below 3.0? Does everyone get probation or do some people just get dismissed? I don't want to go to my internship and collect more debt if they are going to dismiss me. I went from a 3.4 to a 2.99 this semester.

Oooof

Re: GPA below 3.0

Post by Oooof »

In the handbook they have to give you a semester of probation before dismissing you.

Pick up the slack next semester and bring your GPA up. The 100s of thousands of dollars hanging over your head should be a good enough motivation to party/socialize less and focus more on what matters.

Dumb-ass

Post by Dumb-ass »

Oooof wrote:In the handbook they have to give you a semester of probation before dismissing you.

Pick up the slack next semester and bring your GPA up. The 100s of thousands of dollars hanging over your head should be a good enough motivation to party/socialize less and focus more on what matters.
Trust me, it isn’t partying/socializing and I feel the weight. I’m a graduate student with a weird situation in one particular class outside of my department. Couldn’t drop it because of time restrictions and already was taking max research hours. I’m not some undergrad frat boy drinking natty lite.

But thanks kid.

Post by Guest »

Not a graduate student, but did dip below 3.0 a while back. They called and explained that it was against the policy, informed me that I would have one semester to bring it back over a 3.0, and asked if I wanted to withdraw from the program. I'm not specifically sure if there are cases where they don't offer the probationary semester, but they did in my case and since bringing my GPA back up I haven't had any problems with it.