What happens next?

General Discussion for SMART Scholarship Recipients

What happens next?

Postby physicsgirl123 » Tue Apr 30, 2019 5:03 pm

Hi,

I am a 2nd round acceptance. I was curious as to what happens at the site visit, and when does security clearance begin? Should I expect to be drug tested/ fingerprinted/ interviewed for clearance at the site visit? I am looking for info on the timeline.
physicsgirl123

Re: What happens next?

Postby guesst » Fri May 03, 2019 3:55 am

physicsgirl123 wrote:Hi,

I am a 2nd round acceptance. I was curious as to what happens at the site visit, and when does security clearance begin? Should I expect to be drug tested/ fingerprinted/ interviewed for clearance at the site visit? I am looking for info on the timeline.

For me, the site visit was mostly to get a feel of the facility you will be working for and if it will be a good fit before you formally accept the award. Security clearance didn't begin for me until a few months before my first summer internship took place (a year into the program), this included all the tests, prints, etc.
guesst

Re: What happens next?

Postby Xristos_317 » Fri May 10, 2019 3:14 pm

I was offered the scholarship at the end of May and visited my SF in June. I accepted the award and started the clearance process in August. That included being fingerprinted. They didn't begin interviews for my background check for 11 months after that. I was never drug tested, just interviewed by an agent for 2 hours. The whole process from submitting my SF-86 to being approved for clearance took 20 months (28 months from SMART application to clearance approval).
Xristos_317

Return to Recipients