Finding Housing

General Discussion for SMART Scholarship Recipients
Guest52

Finding Housing

Post by Guest52 »

I received internship approval for this summer last week, but I cannot find affordable housing in the area. I live over 700 miles away from my SF. I have asked my SF and SMART but they say I have exhausted all options they suggest. I have checked the following:
- All close Air BnBs are booked
- All furnished and short term apartments are full
- Base recreational housing (the small hotel/cabins used for contractors) is full or over $3k/month
- Hotels in the area will cost at least $10k for the total stay

Does anyone else have a recommendations on how I can find affordable housing?

I have a booked a hotel from now, but with the additional of a rental car I have $500 of the internship stipend remaining to buy a flight to the area and food while I am there.

cmjansse

Re: Finding Housing

Post by cmjansse »

One of the places I was looking was https://www.militarybyowner.com/default.aspx . I found a few short term leases through them, but most of the places listed are near bases, so if your SF isn't on a base it might not have anything. Another option is to check at any colleges/universities near your SF and see if they offer summer housing programs.

DCResident

Post by DCResident »

As the comment above suggests, try universities in the area. I’m a D.C. resident and I know we have TONS of kids coming here for all sorts internships in the summer. Most of the universities in the area offer summer housing to the flood of interns. D.C. also has intern specific housing organizations that are pricey but they keep you safe and I think usually offer meals. I don’t know where your SF is, but they may have something like this too.

Could you try craigslist or a forum to find someone looking to sublet for the summer?I know that might sound a little sketchy but it could be worth a try. Sometimes even Facebook has groups for people looking for housing in cities. Or maybe if you’re a church goer, somewhere near your SF will have someone willing to let you stay? Or if there are other SMART scholars/pathways interns/whatever you could be roommates on base housing and then rent is like $1,500 which still isn’t bad.

Have you looked specifically for corporate housing? They are usually furnished suites with monthly/weekly/daily rates. More expensive than a hotel daily but less expensive monthly. The one I’ve looked at near my SF is $1,600 a month which I don’t really consider expensive (especially compared to D.C.) and it includes nice amenities.

Last suggestion would be to just cut costs where you can. I’m driving 1,400 miles to my SF to avoid a rental car. I think we still get the monthly stipends as well so that can help with food and such.

FYI_BothStipends

Post by FYI_BothStipends »

Guest52 wrote:I received internship approval for this summer last week, but I cannot find affordable housing in the area. I live over 700 miles away from my SF. I have asked my SF and SMART but they say I have exhausted all options they suggest. I have checked the following:
- All close Air BnBs are booked
- All furnished and short term apartments are full
- Base recreational housing (the small hotel/cabins used for contractors) is full or over $3k/month
- Hotels in the area will cost at least $10k for the total stay

Does anyone else have a recommendations on how I can find affordable housing?

I have a booked a hotel from now, but with the additional of a rental car I have $500 of the internship stipend remaining to buy a flight to the area and food while I am there.
I don't have any suggestions that haven't been mentioned, but I just wanted to let you know that you get the internship support payments ($12k) in addition to your normal stipend payments. So even if your housing, rental car, and flights eat up the entire $12k of support payments. You will have your normal monthly stipend to put towards food and incidentals.