Summer classes

General Discussion for SMART Scholarship Recipients
engineerAndBeyond

Summer classes

Post by engineerAndBeyond »

I got denied clearance for my SF and they said I have to take summer classes.
What if I just dont register/take any summer classes?

I know they CAN remove me from the program but what will they PROBABLY do?

SMARTgirl

Re: Summer classes

Post by SMARTgirl »

I don't know the answer to your question, but may I ask how you knew you were denied clearance? My sponsoring facility hasn't said anything about clearances, so I'm wondering if that's normal or if I should've heard something by now.

ReachOut

Post by ReachOut »

SMARTgirl wrote:I don't know the answer to your question, but may I ask how you knew you were denied clearance? My sponsoring facility hasn't said anything about clearances, so I'm wondering if that's normal or if I should've heard something by now.
If you haven't started the process at all (fingerprints, filling out the forms, etc), around now would be a good time to reach out and ask your SF about it. The process up to when you get interim clearance can take ~2 months from when you submit the forms, plus some waiting between when they initiate things and you can begin the forms.

If you did the forms and are waiting on the results, chances are they will only notify you if there is a problem.

malarious

Post by malarious »

engineerAndBeyond wrote:I got denied clearance for my SF and they said I have to take summer classes.
What if I just dont register/take any summer classes?

I know they CAN remove me from the program but what will they PROBABLY do?
I believe they may remove you. Your other option would theoretically be to work, but per the scholarship, I believe you are limited to 16 hours a week. I have a strong suspicion that if you stop doing something that makes them happy, they will take it out on you.

They are not usually specific to classes you must take though, so I did a summer 1 study abroad and did a required math class in summer 2.