Internship waiver payment reduction

General Discussion for SMART Scholarship Recipients
Smart2018

Internship waiver payment reduction

Post by Smart2018 »

I applied for an internship waiver for this summer to continue masters research instead. I was approved and on the completed SAAR form they sent back to me it said reduction in award? And they said yes and put $12,000. Is my monthly stipend getting $12,000 taken out of it over time or is the $12,000 reduction concerning the 12-week internship stipend that I don’t need now?

Has anyone had this before?

Thanks!

HelperGuy

Re: Internship waiver payment reduction

Post by HelperGuy »

Smart2018 wrote:I applied for an internship waiver for this summer to continue masters research instead. I was approved and on the completed SAAR form they sent back to me it said reduction in award? And they said yes and put $12,000. Is my monthly stipend getting $12,000 taken out of it over time or is the $12,000 reduction concerning the 12-week internship stipend that I don’t need now?

Has anyone had this before?

Thanks!
This is weird, I would ask SMART to get an explanation. That would be over 4 months of my stipend, so a bit extreme if it is that, but it being $12k even makes me thinking it is referring to the ISPs. You want to make sure the just don't pay you ISPs, not that they don't pay you ISPs and remove $12k from your stipend.

being_helpful

Post by being_helpful »

$12,000 is the same amount you would get for a 12 week internship (the max length you can go for). This seems like the most likely scenario. As for the "reduction", I'd imagine they already had that $12,000 allocated for you, and had to adjust accordingly.

Definitely still email and ask, just to clarify.

Smart2018

Post by Smart2018 »

I called and confirmed that the $12,000 is concerning ISP's. They said monthly stipends will not be touched due to internship waivers. In case anyone else gets the same question!