Changing SF as a military spouse

General Discussion for SMART Scholarship Recipients
question

Changing SF as a military spouse

Post by question »

Has anyone had success changing SF to follow a spouse to their who is an officer in the Army/Air Force/etc?

question

Re: Changing SF as a military spouse

Post by question »

question wrote:Has anyone had success changing SF to follow a spouse to their base/branch who is an officer in the Army/Air Force/etc?

PhaseCheck

Post by PhaseCheck »

The difficulty of doing this will depend on whether you're in Phase 1 or 2. If you're in Phase 2, SMART generally doesn't care where you're working so long as you draw a DoD paycheck.

If you're still in Phase 1, this is going to be a lot trickier for you. Most SFs only have so many picks for SMART students, so they're generally pretty reluctant to give them up and SMART is absolutely not going to be on your side when trying to change SFs. Your best bet is to get your new SF to agree to take you on, then get your old SF to agree to release you, then go to SMART and request an SF change. Get all of this in writing, document everything. Do not let your current SF drop you before you have the new SF 100% confirmed or else you will be in default of the SMART program and things will get much worse.

Even if you do everything right, there's still a good chance a souless bean counter somewhere along the chain will deny the SF change, so try to be as humble and polite as possible throughout the undoubtedly stressful process. I can personally confirm that changing SFs during phase 1 is possible (albeit not under the same circumstances as you), but it's a very painful process.

DONTLCMC

Post by DONTLCMC »

Just want to specify that this may have been the case, but when doing a SF transfer now SMART actually emails the scholar and specifies that they are not to talk to other facilities while a transfer is being worked out (this is if your SF is not deemed a fit for you). They give you the generic email that if you talk to other SFs and try to find a facility on your own time they have the right to dismiss you from the program.

Sisyphus

Post by Sisyphus »

DONTLCMC wrote:Just want to specify that this may have been the case, but when doing a SF transfer now SMART actually emails the scholar and specifies that they are not to talk to other facilities while a transfer is being worked out (this is if your SF is not deemed a fit for you). They give you the generic email that if you talk to other SFs and try to find a facility on your own time they have the right to dismiss you from the program.
If you'd be able to get documentation of that for me, or could get me in touch with someone who can, I'd very much appreciate it.

question

Post by question »

DONTLCMC wrote:Just want to specify that this may have been the case, but when doing a SF transfer now SMART actually emails the scholar and specifies that they are not to talk to other facilities while a transfer is being worked out (this is if your SF is not deemed a fit for you). They give you the generic email that if you talk to other SFs and try to find a facility on your own time they have the right to dismiss you from the program.
Most likely, I would get the okay from my boss at my SF to start looking for a job then ask SMART for a transfer after I located a position. If my boss said no, I would never notify SMART. Would that violate this?

Guest1234

Post by Guest1234 »

If your current boss says you can't complete your commitment elsewhere, SMART will likely side with them. I did a change of SF for different reasons and it is something SMART will fight tooth and nail to not allow you to do, even if the circumstances call for a change of SF. I had to go through a lot even with supervisors on both ends of the SF swap supporting me.
question wrote:
DONTLCMC wrote:Most likely, I would get the okay from my boss at my SF to start looking for a job then ask SMART for a transfer after I located a position. If my boss said no, I would never notify SMART. Would that violate this?