Phase 2 Start

General Discussion for SMART Scholarship Recipients
Stevensons987

Phase 2 Start

Post by Stevensons987 »

So I got accepted last year and have a scholarship for the 2018-2019 school year. I will be graduating in May 2019 and I assume I'll be starting that year. Anyone have experience with extending the period from graduation to work? I'd like to have a vacation until the end of July and I'm wondering if thats possible.

kbl2017

Re: Phase 2 Start

Post by kbl2017 »

I'm making up some day numbers here it's in the handbook somewhere though. Your SF has 30 days from when your degree is complete (it's officially on your transcript) to get out an unofficial offer. You have a week from when they send that to sign it. Following that they have something like another 30 days to send you the full offer (and negotiate if that's a thing) and then you're supposed to pick a start date within 30 days of signing your official offer. So the period is supposed to be 90 days from graduation. Used to be 120, and my SF was fairly confident it would take that entire period of time. They generally shot for start dates by September when it was 120 days and understood when I asked them if we needed more time for moving etc. I would just say "I need time to move and get my affairs in order" or something like that and nothing about vacation. As a may 2019 graduate I am expecting to start in august. If your SF is smaller/doesn't do a lot of hiring I would expect the timeline to be slightly faster but again just request a later date and give a legit reason besides I want a longer vacation.

Ky502

Post by Ky502 »

My HR person at my SF has said they will give me extra time to move there because of the distance and cost (12 hours from my University and NJ is expensive). It has yet to happen yet because I haven’t graduated yet, but I believe your start date is something you agree on with your SF.

kbl2017

Post by kbl2017 »

Ky502 wrote:My HR person at my SF has said they will give me extra time to move there because of the distance and cost (12 hours from my University and NJ is expensive). It has yet to happen yet because I haven’t graduated yet, but I believe your start date is something you agree on with your SF.
^^^ Your location is for sure a way to make sure you get the time you need. I'm basically planning on wanting a start date in mid-august and similarly my home is across the country from my SF so that's what I plan on using as a reason if anyone gives me a hard time.