USACE Summer Internship CAC Problems

General Discussion for SMART Scholarship Recipients
Guest1234543

USACE Summer Internship CAC Problems

Post by Guest1234543 »

Has anyone in a Corps of Engineers internship have issues receiving a CAC card? My district has never had a Smart scholar before so they are unsure on how to put me into the system since I'm not on payroll. If anyone can shed any light on the matter, I'd appreciate it.

Helpful

Re: USACE Summer Internship CAC Problems

Post by Helpful »

Guest1234543 wrote:Has anyone in a Corps of Engineers internship have issues receiving a CAC card? My district has never had a Smart scholar before so they are unsure on how to put me into the system since I'm not on payroll. If anyone can shed any light on the matter, I'd appreciate it.
I ran into a similar issue a few years back, I am not with the Corp of Engineers though, different SF. I emailed SMART and they were able to provide guidance on how to proceed. SMART has a grant number and a contract number associated with them. The facility can use one of those to give you a CAC as a grantee or contractor. If this is your first year receiving the award your facility should have handled the background check and can verify that, otherwise they should be able verify your clearance through SMART using your SSN using normal channels.

CACProbs

Re: USACE Summer Internship CAC Problems

Post by CACProbs »

Guest1234543 wrote:Has anyone in a Corps of Engineers internship have issues receiving a CAC card? My district has never had a Smart scholar before so they are unsure on how to put me into the system since I'm not on payroll. If anyone can shed any light on the matter, I'd appreciate it.
Yeah I am with the Core and this is my first summer interning too. I also had issues with my district working out how to get me a CAC card, though they have had Smart interns before. The way they eventually worked out putting me into the system was by classifying me as a Volunteer, as like you said we aren't paid by the Core. The Core had to contact my Smart Point of Contact and set up a sponsor in my district to facilitate my information being added into the system. I'm not sure on all the details, but the problem I ran into was my SMART Point of Contact had failed to get in touch with somebody in my district to do that, which lead to delays in which I didn't receive my CAC card until about 3 weeks into my internship.

But now I am fine and haven't had any issues. I think that is the way to go, at least for my case. Hope I was able to help.